Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Where is it going to sit? Are you suggesting that it's not possible to clear it out of the trap?

Can you turn the dick off for a minute, or is this another one of those cases where you realize that you misspoke and then argue minutiae?

It's not always just the oil though. You have to think that yes it could build up or sit in a spot where gravity doesn't fully take everything. Plus it's easier for smaller food particles that do go into the drain to end up mixing with the oil and building up as well. Is this just a general question or do you have some weird need to dump in into the drain vs the trash or other disposal methods?

It's not always just the oil though. You have to think that yes it could build up or sit in a spot where gravity doesn't fully take everything. Plus it's easier for smaller food particles that do go into the drain to end up mixing with the oil and building up as well. Is this just a general question or do you have some weird need to dump in into the drain vs the trash or other disposal methods?

It's because @APRIL poos in the shower.

Where is it going to sit? Are you suggesting that it's not possible to clear it out of the trap?

Can you turn the dick off for a minute, or is this another one of those cases where you realize that you misspoke and then argue minutiae?
This random plumber I googled says this:

"Many people believe that pouring cooking oil or grease down a drain is harmless because these items are liquids. However, the problem is that oils do not behave the same way other liquids do. Oil or grease may look like it goes down the drain fine. However, once it cools down, it can cling to your drainpipes. Eventually, the coating builds up over time, causing severe blockages, and clogged drain pipes.

Oils are also denser than water and other liquids. As a result, oil will float around, accumulating over time. The end result is that you could end up having a clogged drain and need to call a plumber in Greenville SC to come out and unclog it.

Go Green
A clogged drain is not the only thing that you should be worried about. If you regularly pour vegetable oil down your drain, it will harm the overall water supply by polluting it over time. One small way you can help protect your local environment is by properly disposing your cooking oil.

So what do you do with waste oil and grease?
Pouring oil and grease down your drain or garbage disposal is certainly a quick way to get rid of it. However, you should now understand that it is not a really good solution. The best option is to use the trash can! The proper way to dispose of cooking oil is to pour it in a container and dispose of it in a trashcan."

Tl;dr Don't dump oil down the drain it clogs and enters the water supply.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I save all of my spaghetti sauce glassware and use that for pouring grease and stuff in, then toss it in the trash when it gets full.

Lessons learned from growing up in an old ass house with just as old ass plumbing inside it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I save all of my spaghetti sauce glassware and use that for pouring grease and stuff in, then toss it in the trash when it gets full.

Lessons learned from growing up in an old ass house with just as old ass plumbing inside it.
Same.

Except it was from buying and moving into an old ass house with just as old ass plumbing inside it.

Can someone explain to me how pouring (specifically) vegetable oil down the drain is bad?

locally, it can congeal as it cools and cause blockages, especially in traps, etc.

externally if you have a septic, itll fuck up the whole system, and if you have sewer, it creates masses and blockages in the sewer system mixed with hair, toilet paper, tampons, etc.

tl'dr: oils and fats act as binders, tying stuff together and creating blockages.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and Ledboots
It's going to sit at whatever low spots you've got between you and the curb, man.

But hey, you've got the end goal in mind (you clearly want to just dump shit down the drain), don't let me try and convince you otherwise.
There shouldn't be anything. And if there is, it's already been filled in with everything else that would pool in a low spot, allowing the oil to float right on by. I understand it's conventional wisdom, but that doesn't make it right. Seems you don't have a good reason either.

I have no end goal, I'm just asking a question. Probably shouldn't have responded if you didn't really know the answer...

this is very odd, but i have a asphalt millings driveway, and all it takes to reactivate the binders in the asphalt milling (the tar), is oil, diesel, or a solvent. I pour my kitchen oil on the driveway in areas away from trees, and it turns the asphalt millings back into asphalt

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
But its oil, NOT fat. It's not going to make any weird slurry with food...

There shouldn't be anything. And if there is, it's already been filled in with everything else that would pool in a low spot, allowing the oil to float right on by. I understand it's conventional wisdom, but that doesn't make it right. Seems you don't have a good reason either.

I have no end goal, I'm just asking a question. Probably shouldn't have responded if you didn't really know the answer...
Big gulps, eh?

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Great! Now follow along. What are we talking about here @Domon?

vegetable oil.

I dont know why the specificity on vegetable oil (which is actually a great number of different oils depending on what brand you buy), but everything i said applies to vegetable oil.

@fly Do you have a dozen 50 gallon drums full of vegetable oil that you bought but the bottom fell out in the vegetable oil market and you tried to throw them out but Waste Managment said no and left them by your curb? And now you’re trying to find a way to get rid of them.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and Ledboots