NSFW The Exercise Thread

Err, that was 500 warmup, 10x50 on 1:00, two flat-top pyramids (25, 50, 75, 100, 100, 75, 50, 25) on a base of :30 (that's 30 seconds per 25, and a total distance of 500 yards per pyramid), a 4x75 "Texas" IM (fly-back-breast, back-breast-free, breast-free-fly, free-fly-back) on 1:45, and 200 cooldown.

It wasn't 2 hours. If you do the math on the timed portions, 500 yards takes 10 minutes (less the IM portion, which took 7 minutes for 300 yards). 2500 yards took me a bit more than an hour (with the un-timed warmup, cooldown, and rest between sets).

A base of 2:00 per 100 yards is actually pretty slow, for competitive swimmers. You should ideally be doing 1:30 intervals for 100 yard sets, and I'm :30 off that.

We used to do 30 50s on the minute in the midst of practice training in college. That shit was a killer. Fond memories of distinctly being able to feel myself sweating while in a pool. Whole body bright red. People would puke in the gutter once in a while from that one.

We used to do 30 50s on the minute in the midst of practice training in college. That shit was a killer. Fond memories of distinctly being able to feel myself sweating while in a pool. Whole body bright red. People would puke in the gutter once in a while from that one.
I assume that was olympic length (a 50M pool, which is actually closer to like 52 yards). I do all my swimming at an indoor 25 yard pool (and a mixture of indoor and outdoor short course pools while I was competing).

500 + 10x50 on :60 was pretty much the standard warmup for me in HS (Title IX nixed any collegiate swim team I might have had).

Every Thursday morning after our Wednesday meet in HS, we would do "minute men", in which you swam 50s starting on :60 but subtracting a second each time (so, 2nd 50 on :59, 3rd on :58, etc). The "winner" of the set was whoever swam the farthest without busting the interval. I could usually make it to 30, but that was back when I could swim a 50 free in :21 (and the fast kids could swim it in :19, lol).

I assume that was olympic length (a 50M pool, which is actually closer to like 52 yards). I do all my swimming at an indoor 25 yard pool (and a mixture of indoor and outdoor short course pools while I was competing).

500 + 10x50 on :60 was pretty much the standard warmup for me in HS (Title IX nixed any collegiate swim team I might have had).

Every Thursday morning after our Wednesday meet in HS, we would do "minute men", in which you swam 50s starting on :60 but subtracting a second each time (so, 2nd 50 on :59, 3rd on :58, etc). The "winner" of the set was whoever swam the farthest without busting the interval. I could usually make it to 30, but that was back when I could swim a 50 free in :21 (and the fast kids could swim it in :19, lol).

... world record is 21 something isnt it?

I swam yards my whole life.

Ugh, totally pussed out this morning. Stayed out too late last night with the wife (nice dinner and Captain America), and slept through the 5AM alarm.

May go this afternoon while the kids are at swim practice.

I had to cut back this am too.

I usually use the handweights through the first 1/3 of the aerobics & yesterday, when they were entirely done, I started putting them down and thought - I'M FUCKED.

Arms, shoulders and neck were not so good this morning.
I feel just fine, but I hate doing cardio days in the afternoon. It's usually way too hot to do anything outside, which is where I like to be.

in other news. . . I started doing these,

Photo-14-11-2011-12-02-42.jpg

according to the site (not the one from the pic)

They totally increase your grip and work the shit out of your forearms, in addition to the biceps.

So you can do pull ups and think you can do these? Go for it.

I'm up to 3. & it's not because of my biceps, it's my hands. (just noticed this guy's grip. hmm. may try it. I just grab all of the towel totally around. no 'index finger' through the gap stuff.)

protip: spit on your hands so there's some friction when you grab the towel.

purdy much, these are esteem crushers.

Last edited:
I had to cut back this am too.

I usually use the handweights through the first 1/3 of the aerobics & yesterday, when they were entirely done, I started putting them down and thought - I'M FUCKED.

Arms, shoulders and neck were not so good this morning.

Here also :/ started getting numbness and tingling in my right shin during my run yesterday. Gotta rest for a day or so and ice it.