Ontopic The Burqa

Are you for or against the Burqa?

• Total voters
Do I really have to rephrase my posts for the lowest possible intellectual level?

I really can't believe people are not understanding anything here.. It's like your purposefully arguing for sake of it..
We understand you perfectly, I simply disagree with your ideas. Get over yourself.
It's not religious, but is associated with the religion. Their are plenty of Muslim people who wear the same clothes as you an I. The ones who wear the Burqa are fundamentalists,
No, they are not. One does not need to be a fundamentalist to wear the burqa just like one doesn't need to be a bible thumper to wear a cross. It's not limited to the extremists.
and they have adopted the Burqa due to their misogynistic tendencies.
Showing once again that you don't understand that religion or culture AT ALL. Read a little more into the history of the burqa and its connection to islam before you start assuming its reasons for existing.
Now ignorant people just think, "it's a religious garment!", when it is not.

Christians in the middle east have nothing to do with this conversation whatsoever.
They most certainly do because christian women in certain arab countries wear burqas.
Choosing does not equal free will. I..... wtf, why do I even need to explain this? Unbelievable.........
Yes it does. You cannot choose something if you do not have free will.
I don't even know what you mean by your last comment. Of course cultures have different viewpoints. Doesn't make them all right. Especially when they leave they own country and live in another. We in the civilized world deem certain things as wrong, and do not allow it in our societies. If they wish to live in those societies, they need to understand and recognize what we deem as wrong.
What's wrong is you deciding what a woman can and cannot wear. That's oppression.

You don't decide what we deem wrong. You're the one in the minority here. The rest of us realize that people can choose to wear burqas of their own free will and follow religions of their own free will.

It's oppressive to ban oppression... this is what I'm arguing with? lol.. ok brah, whatever..

You don't even understand what you're arguing. Choosing to wear a burqa is not oppression any more than choosing to wear a sweater is oppression.

I know you have this knight in shining armor messiah complex where you feel the need to claim that you'd beat someone up for oppressing women on the internet but you're ignoring the issue at hand: you lack an understanding of burqas, islam and arab culture in general. You're speaking from a position with no reliable information on the subject.

Last edited:
You don't even understand what you're arguing. Choosing to wear a burqa is not oppression any more than choosing to wear a sweater is oppression.

I know you have this knight in shining armor messiah complex where you feel the need to claim that you'd beat someone up for oppressing women on the internet but you're ignoring the issue at hand: you lack an understanding of burqas, islam and arab culture in general. You're speaking from a position with no reliable information on the subject.

I think you are the one who's got no idea what they are arguing. First you tell me I'm wrong, then you tell me it's just that you don't agree, then you're telling me I'm wrong again.

The Burqa is associated with oppression just as much as it's associated with Islam.

Because you know some women who wear it and are not married, nor in an oppressive relationship doesn't mean other women aren't. Plenty of women are oppressed at the hands of fundamentalist Islamic misogynists, and a few women who think the Burqa is ok, doesn't justify the mistreatment of other women.

I think you are the one who's got no idea what they are arguing. First you tell me I'm wrong, then you tell me it's just that you don't agree, then you're telling me I'm wrong again.
You are wrong in your understanding of the issue. What I disagree with is your ideas regarding what is and isn't oppression. Important difference. Try to keep up.
The Burqa is associated with oppression just as much as it's associated with Islam.

Because you know some women who wear it and are not married, nor in an oppressive relationship doesn't mean other women aren't. Plenty of women are oppressed at the hands of fundamentalist Islamic misogynists, and a few women who think the Burqa is ok, doesn't justify the mistreatment of other women.
So deal with the actual issue of misogyny, not an article of clothing that can be worn without any connection to oppression whatsoever. You are still lacking an understanding of islam and arab culture in general. You take this misogyny idea to its extreme without taking more than a cursory glance at culture you're generalizing.

Plenty of women are not oppressed and still wear the burqa of their own free will.

You are wrong in your understanding of the issue. What I disagree with is your ideas regarding what is and isn't oppression. Important difference. Try to keep up.

Ok Mr Big Brain. Why don't you actually point out what you claim.

So deal with the actual issue of misogyny, not an article of clothing that can be worn without any connection to oppression whatsoever. You are still lacking an understanding of islam and arab culture in general. You take this misogyny idea to its extreme without taking more than a cursory glance at culture you're generalizing.

Plenty of women are not oppressed and still wear the burqa of their own free will.

No connection to oppression whatsoever? Ok you've lost me here. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Not all burqas are oppressive just like Islam isn't an evil religion. I mean you use your example of a leash, but what about wedding rings, those can be seen as a symbol of ownership and christian vows include the words "to obey". Just let people live their lives and stop trying to control everyone under the illusion you're "protecting" them.

Maybe I WANT to use my hair dryer in the bathtub. Gosh!

I'm only confrontational with people who are also confrontational. I act unto to people how they act unto me.

Plus I have no interest being friends with people who try to shove ignorance down my throat..

Not all burqas are oppressive just like Islam isn't an evil religion. I mean you use your example of a leash, but what about wedding rings, those can be seen as a symbol of ownership and christian vows include the words "to obey". Just let people live their lives and stop trying to control everyone under the illusion you're "protecting" them.

Maybe I WANT to use my hair dryer in the bathtub. Gosh!

:waw:

Both the woman AND the man wear weddings rings...

Go play somewhere else..