The BEST way to steal wifi at home (free internet access)

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,380
Steam
mattressfish
So I'm just putting the finishing touches on a Buffalo router flashed with DD-WRT and using the AutoAP script.

If you don't know, DD-WRT can easily turn your $50 router into $500 router. However, in this case, it allows you to automatically search for the strongest open (free) wifi signal, it then connects to that signal, and checks for internet access. Finally, it rechecks internet access every 60 seconds and if it dies, attempts to find a new open signal.

If you're interested in this or any other aspect of DD-WRT, ask away...

Nerd Alert Below - Stop if you aren't technically inclinded.
As as aside, on my personal router, I have 2 APs setup. 1 that is private, WPA2 enabled, and full LAN access. I also have another AP setup on the SAME router that is for public use, no LAN access, and all ports but web blocked.

Last edited:
I find it funny that he has named the access points Privates (for our use) and Pubics (for everyone else).

:lol:

I named ours "BootyPants" , but its locked down.
I have a linksys router, is there some groovy way to boost the signal?
When I sit outside on the backporch with the laptop the signals kinda weak.

I named ours "BootyPants" , but its locked down.
I have a linksys router, is there some groovy way to boost the signal?
When I sit outside on the backporch with the laptop the signals kinda weak.

Where is your router located? If it's in the basement, the signal will sort of go up like a funnel and could be causing the issue, but it also keeps the neighbours off it. If you have a wireless card with an antenna, you can use a pringles can to boost your signal to miles....

isn't this stealing?
said the thug teacher to the nerds.

:fly:

technicaly no since in this day and age Most wireless routers come locked down and with a install disc that clearly explained how to maintain it.
if the person owning the router Choose to unlock it they Should not be upset that someone else is using their bandwith.
aka if you leave yer car running and with the keys in it don't be suprised someone else is taking it for a spin.

said the thug teacher to the nerds.

:fly:

technicaly no since in this day and age Most wireless routers come locked down and with a install disc that clearly explained how to maintain it.
if the person owning the router Choose to unlock it they Should not be upset that someone else is using their bandwith.
aka if you leave yer car running and with the keys in it don't be suprised someone else is taking it for a spin.

:lol: but they would still be stealing the car.

Where is your router located? If it's in the basement, the signal will sort of go up like a funnel and could be causing the issue, but it also keeps the neighbours off it. If you have a wireless card with an antenna, you can use a pringles can to boost your signal to miles....

We dont have basements here, since they just become under-house pools:fly:

The routers in the front of my house, in the office. The signal at the far end of the house is a little weak, but when you go out the back door it drops way down in strength.

explain.

isn't "using a service that you don't pay for that others have to pay for" .. uh.. stealing?

For example, fly leaves the network wide open for others to use. Think of it as a public service.

Plus its internet connection, its not like you are stealing actual objects.

:pats head: