The BEST way to steal wifi at home (free internet access)

I have been using my neighbors connection for over 2 years now and never had a problem.

well, this post did not mention your neighbor said it was okay.

i've just seen too many of those 20/20 shows about people using other people's networks (or whatever), peeping their personal info, etc.

WITHOUT permission.

whatever. honestly, IDGAF. taco bell still costs the same.

well hell ape, no complaints when someone jacks your credit card or SS# off the internet and runs up your card.. i mean, it's not like they're "stealing actual objects".

:pats head and laughs ass off:

That's different, silly goose. That is stealing money and identity.

My parents use a linksys WRT54G router (version 4) and I just brought them up some amplifier antennas to boost the signal but found out that version 4 does not have removable antennas. Fucking Linksys.

Anyways, it's my mom's desktop that is having trouble connecting, it gets on but with a very low signal, teeters between 1mbps and 5 mbps. So I bought a repeater for them and installed it, works great except that it hiccups every few hours and when it does, her PC immediately reverts back to the distant access point (low signal) and stays there. So she has to repair her PC's adapter connection every time she goes back to her computer, and sometimes while she's working on it.

Any advice out there as to how to prevent/fix this? Or why a repeater would hiccup every so often? I've tested it's placement, it get's good signal so it's not losing the connection to the access point.

would I be better off flashing the router to a 3rd party firmware and increasing the signal strength?

My parents use a linksys WRT54G router (version 4) and I just brought them up some amplifier antennas to boost the signal but found out that version 4 does not have removable antennas. Fucking Linksys.

Anyways, it's my mom's desktop that is having trouble connecting, it gets on but with a very low signal, teeters between 1mbps and 5 mbps. So I bought a repeater for them and installed it, works great except that it hiccups every few hours and when it does, her PC immediately reverts back to the distant access point (low signal) and stays there. So she has to repair her PC's adapter connection every time she goes back to her computer, and sometimes while she's working on it.

Any advice out there as to how to prevent/fix this? Or why a repeater would hiccup every so often? I've tested it's placement, it get's good signal so it's not losing the connection to the access point.

would I be better off flashing the router to a 3rd party firmware and increasing the signal strength?

the link to google I posted earlier deals with the wrt54g and flashing it to boost signal strength

the link to google I posted earlier deals with the wrt54g and flashing it to boost signal strength

any side effects for flashing a router in regards to the funcition of a high dollar stand alone VOIP phone? Dad uses one as a business phone to place calls on and through his office network 500 miles away. Should be okay as long as packets are going to and from the device properly right?

Oh, and if I flash it and don't like the results can it be flashed back to Linksys firmware?

Never tried 3rd party stuff before.

any side effects for flashing a router in regards to the funcition of a high dollar stand alone VOIP phone? Dad uses one as a business phone to place calls on and through his office network 500 miles away. Should be okay as long as packets are going to and from the device properly right?

Oh, and if I flash it and don't like the results can it be flashed back to Linksys firmware?

no idea about the phone or going back...it's worked perfectly though

eh, i'll give it a shot over christmas. the worst thing that can happen is i make it a brick and have to go buy another router for 50 bucks.

I was thinking about doing the antennas AND flashing the bios, then Ill drive to elpaso and see if I can still log in:p

Just make sure your router is prior to version 4, and that it has removable antennas.

I bought the damn antennas at fry's in atlanta, box said "works with WRT54G"

I took them to charlotte looked at my parent's wrt54g and couldn't figure out how to get the old antennas off, looked online and found out that version 4 and later they decided not to design them with removable antennas.

but i bet the chinamen can put it together for 4 bucks cheaper per unit or something like that.

Check to see if there is a firmware update for the repeater. If so, the update might fix that bug. Or RMA the device back to the manufacturer and get a new one after you try the firmware update or reset it to default, then customize it to your wireless network.

If you load DD-WRT on it, you could install a QoS addon (quality of service). QoS properly implemented would enhance the quality of his VoIP phonecall by giving the VoIP traffic priority over other network traffic (say web surfing, e-mail, etc). Might help get rid of voice quality issues.

Just make sure your router is prior to version 4, and that it has removable antennas.

I bought the damn antennas at fry's in atlanta, box said "works with WRT54G"

I took them to charlotte looked at my parent's wrt54g and couldn't figure out how to get the old antennas off, looked online and found out that version 4 and later they decided not to design them with removable antennas. .

I have a version 5 WRT54G and the antennas are removable. In fact, I am pretty sure V 7 and 8 also have removable antennas.

That said, I prefer to just buy a WRT54GL (notice the L) which Linksys made after an outcry for a "hackable" Linksys WRT54G. The L is easy to modify for loading custom firmware on it. It also has two removable rubber ducky antennas. I have two of them set up with tall external antennas for a customer of mine in a harbor/yacht club, so people can be on shore or in their sailboats in the harbor surfing the web.

What's the advantage of DD-WRT over OpenWRT or something like that?

I would say the two most developed and supported (community-wise) firmwares for WRT54G and other model routers are DD-WRT and Tomato. They seem to have the most support for common features people want, slick web interfaces, and an active community behind each for developing new code and supporting each other.