The BEST way to steal wifi at home (free internet access)

We dont have basements here, since they just become under-house pools:fly:

The routers in the front of my house, in the office. The signal at the far end of the house is a little weak, but when you go out the back door it drops way down in strength.

serious about the cisco flash...I get full bars all over my whole house and my wifi is in the basement which is partially in the side of a hill

Heh. I wouldn't use any unencrypted applications over that, especially instant messengers with no encryption enabled. Maybe if you had a VPN server set up externally on the net that you connect to, then that might work. Or Tor.

As for increasing signal strength, play around with the channels on your access point. By default almost all Linksys 802.11b/g routers come running on channel 6. You have 11 channels to choose from, 3 of which are non-overlapping (channel 1,6,11). So if a neighbor has an access point on channel 6, and you can pick it up, then your access point and his are colliding with each other, thus reducing signal quality, speed, etc. Change to channel 1 or 11, as those are non-overlapping to channel 6.

You can also get higher quality antennas that you replace the standard rubber ducky antenna that come with most wireless routers/access points. Linksys makes a 7dBi antenna kit that fits most of their wireless routers/access points which will increase the signal strength and coverage a bunch. For every +3dBi increase of signal strength, you double the power.

Finally if you load custom firmware onto the access point/router, most of the custom firmwares allow you to boost the transmit power from a default low level to a higher level. However, boosting the power also brings side-effects such as increasing the possibility of interference from cordless phones (ones running in 2.4ghz), older microwave ovens, and your neighbor's phones/wireless networks.

Last edited:
www.fon.com Fon does the if you share your wifi then you can use other people's wifi. Fono use to give you a free router if you shared it and lived near a coffee shop especially Starbucks.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/991e/

Wi-Fi Detector Shirt that shows signal strength.

wifi_shirt_anim.gif

So now the people that are kicking your butt for being a nerd can see if they can get a wifi signal.

Last edited:
Heh. I wouldn't use any unencrypted applications over that, especially instant messengers with no encryption enabled. Maybe if you had a VPN server set up externally on the net that you connect to, then that might work. Or Tor.

Umm, my mom doesn't care if someone grabs her IMs...

For example, fly leaves the network wide open for others to use. Think of it as a public service.

Plus its internet connection, its not like you are stealing actual objects.

:pats head:

well hell ape, no complaints when someone jacks your credit card or SS# off the internet and runs up your card.. i mean, it's not like they're "stealing actual objects".

:pats head and laughs ass off:

Since this is the same topic, check out slickdeals.net for a $10 router...

CompUSA has Linksys Wireless-G Network Kit for Notebooks (includes wireless router and PCMCIA wireless card) for $50 + $5 S/H - $45 eRebate = $10. Lowest on PriceGrabber is $57. Thanks alharethi and igiddyuup