Ontopic The 3D printing thread

PETG seems to be about the same price. Why wouldn't I use that all the time?
PLA = prints nicer. Doesn't handle high temperatures, UV, etc as well as other materials. But it prints damn nice.

PETG = strings more (google image search "petg stringing" for an example) which has to be cleaned off prints. Some filaments string more than others. Also it tends to stick to the printer nozzle where it'll burn on and occasionally leave boogers behind on your print.

I use PLA for pretty stuff, PETG for functional stuff.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
So after reading this, it says I need a 200x200 build plate cause some of the items are 182mm. Google says my mini is 185. Is that really not big enough?

So after reading this, it says I need a 200x200 build plate cause some of the items are 182mm. Google says my mini is 185. Is that really not big enough?

Depends on what sort of build plate adhesion promoter setting you have. Raft, brim, skirt, or none. May be able to get by with none? If nothing works it will be greyed out, and I can knock it out for ya

What asa said - you can edit the skirt settings in the slicer. Make it do a single line, 1 layer high, like 0.6mm away from the model and it should barely fit.

Its a setting that aids your first layers. Might be easiest to google it, you should learn that stuff anyways as each one has a different use depending on the physical aspects of your print.

• Gravy
You guys just went all Welsh on me.
Skirt is a line that gets drawn around the outside perimeter of the print. Helps to prime the nozzle before it starts printing the main part of the print.

It can do more loops (making the skirt wider) for extra priming, and the skirt can be more than one layer high which helps grab hold of it and peel it off the print bed.

And normally it's kept a couple mm away from the print. But you can push it real close to the print, like 1/2mm away, and that's fine.

• Gravy
Finally convinced the 15 year old to learn CAD. I’ve been trying to get him to for awhile but he’s resisted.

starting with sketch up (cause free) and I can’t get him to turn it off to eat dinner.

I’m putting this here cause it feels like it fits this thread the best.
Good for him. And you. Buncha very good careers use it at some level.
It changes per region, but AutoCad and Solidworks are the two main products used around here for when you get to that point.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and kiwi
Good for him. And you. Buncha very good careers use it at some level.
It changes per region, but AutoCad and Solidworks are the two main products used around here for when you get to that point.
He’s always loved drawing in the computer (with basic shapes and lines, not like pictures and characters) so I’ve felt this would be a good fit but he’s stubborn. Took a few years to convince him to try.

Question...

I'm following this basic bitch tutorial. I'm at the point where he has an option to 'save as STL'. I don't have that option. I can 'save copy as' but no STL. Also, I don't have STL under Export either. What am I missing?

(Linked to exact time in video, if you care.)

Question...

I'm following this basic bitch tutorial. I'm at the point where he has an option to 'save as STL'. I don't have that option. I can 'save copy as' but no STL. Also, I don't have STL under Export either. What am I missing?

(Linked to exact time in video, if you care.)

sounds like a version issues

check this thread:

tldr: look for the make button, rather than the save as