Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Right click on the body on the left, choose "Save as Mesh". Choose "Binary STL", medium mesh refinement.

Autodesk keeps moving shit around and it's annoying.

thats almost as bad a fuckup as the shifting menu options when M$ introduced their whole ribbons concept.

God, ribbons suck

So after reading this, it says I need a 200x200 build plate cause some of the items are 182mm. Google says my mini is 185. Is that really not big enough?

Well shit, it doesn't fit.

I wonder if scaling it down would help. Depends on how big the things going into it are, I guess. I'm waiting on something to finish but I could have it done by tomorrow afternoon/evening if you want.

I wonder if scaling it down would help. Depends on how big the things going into it are, I guess. I'm waiting on something to finish but I could have it done by tomorrow afternoon/evening if you want.
Yeah, I'm going to try and figure all that out. No worries yet. :heart:

edit: After looking at whats going in them, I think lopping off .8mm isn't going to matter.

Last edited:
Under print settings, just turn off the skirt entirely - skirt and brim page, set loops (minimum) to 0. The printer draws a priming line on the front of the print bed anyway and that's enough to purge the nozzle.

Then scale the thing by 99.5%, which reduces the width to 179.9mm. So you're losing 0.9mm off the overall width but odds are that's fine.

1629820213292.png

Under print settings, just turn off the skirt entirely - skirt and brim page, set loops (minimum) to 0. The printer draws a priming line on the front of the print bed anyway and that's enough to purge the nozzle.

Then scale the thing by 99.5%, which reduces the width to 179.9mm. So you're losing 0.9mm off the overall width but odds are that's fine.

View attachment 14717
For whatever reason, it doesn't seem I need to even turn off the skirt (or it doesn't complain anyway). And I can just unlock scaling and set X to 180mm. I shall try this soon. ;)

edit: Oh I see, when I try to slice it keeping the skirt and setting it at 180mm - it silently crashes. 179.9mm it is!

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: adi
For whatever reason, it doesn't seem I need to even turn off the skirt (or it doesn't complain anyway). And I can just unlock scaling and set X to 180mm. I shall try this soon. ;)

edit: Oh I see, when I try to slice it keeping the skirt and setting it at 180mm - it silently crashes. 179.9mm it is!
Yeah, it wouldn't slice with 180mm X for some unknown reason.

It did bitch about the toolhead going outside the printable area with the skirt on, though.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Doubt it. You're inside, humidity is probably fairly stable due to the AC (you do have it inside, right?)
Humidity is an issue when the filament has had time to sit and absorb moisture from the air, all plastics do it to some extent. They sell driers, or you can make one which would certainly be in your capabilities. Certain nylons can absorb as much as 50% of their weight in moisture, if I remember properly.

Do you have any filament retraction settings enabled? It usually helps me with stringing.