Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Anyone done a direct drive setup?
I keep eyeballing it, but I figure I should finish this BLTouch and E3D Nozzle upgrade

My printer's direct drive. It started as the crappy "MK8" extruder that came with my A8, but I changed it out to a Trianglelab clone of an E3D Titan Aero, mostly out of hatred of the MK8.

In my experience, my Aero has no trouble printing TPU (granted, I've printed very few things with it), but the Ultimaker at work completely fails at it because there's too much slop in the tube. But for ordinary PLA/ABS/PETG/whatever printing, the Ultimaker and my own printer produce comparable output.

Going back to reprint some of the geartrain stuff I designed early this year in Taulman Alloy 910, and wow did it soak up some water over the summer. The first print I got off of it looked like the part made out of half-melted ice cream.

I'll toss it in the oven tomorrow, but I also ordered a dessicator off Amazon for future hygroscopic filaments.

Nylon can absorb as much as 50% of its weight, from what I remember, as it does I believe it increases in ductility. We've got a problem with it at work.

Can you take a pic of your BL Touch mount? Mine doesn't look right for some reason.

Is the tip of the BLT supposed to be well above the nozzle? It looks like it's at least 1/8" above.
Yes. I guess you could have it right at the same height as the nozzle, but that's just asking for it to snag on something and break off the tip or the mount if something goes sideways with the print.

You're supposed to dial in the height using the z offset through the menu, then save it once you're happy with it.

Yes. I guess you could have it right at the same height as the nozzle, but that's just asking for it to snag on something and break off the tip or the mount if something goes sideways with the print.

You're supposed to dial in the height using the z offset through the menu, then save it once you're happy with it.
I was just wondering how it actually measured if it was offset from the nozzle, I guess. Does it extend or something?

Finally got around to installing the TH3D board in the Ender. Holy crap, it's a lot quieter.

Took a minute to figure out the platformio build system, since I didn't want to figure out all the #ifdef mappings that Tim put into his marlin source to make LPC1769 and TMC2208 drivers work.

Only annoying thing: when the BLtouch is probing in slow mode, the hot end heater is off, for some reason. Other than that, I'm pretty happy.

The Paquette/TH3D board is supported in vanilla Marlin if you don't want to mess around with "TH3D Tough" firmware, whatever the fuck that is.

People/companies that fork Marlin, instead of improving the main code tree, annoy me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
The Paquette/TH3D board is supported in vanilla Marlin if you don't want to mess around with "TH3D Tough" firmware, whatever the fuck that is.

People/companies that fork Marlin, instead of improving the main code tree, annoy me.
Baby steps. I've got something I need to print this weekend, so I just wanted to pull the trigger and go, and platformio/TH3D #ProfessionalGrade firmware was the easiest way to do that.

I'll hop over to vanilla marlin again when I've got the training wheels off on the new board.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
That said, it would be a hop, skip, and jump to fucking make marlin a submodule in his repo. As near as I can tell, all he does is make a bunch of #defines a layer higher than a stock marlin config.h file.

SMDH.

Code:
#define BOARD_GMARSH_X6_REV1          2021  // GMARSH X6 board, revision 1 prototype

DIdn't know you merited an inclusion of your own, @gee.
It's pretty much all self-serving code but I like to think I'm a Marlin contributor :)

The X6 was one of the first LPC1768 based boards that wasn't based on the Smoothieboard design, making the board work required cleaning up a bunch of hacks/assumptions in the Marlin code.

That said, it would be a hop, skip, and jump to fucking make marlin a submodule in his repo. As near as I can tell, all he does is make a bunch of #defines a layer higher than a stock marlin config.h file.

SMDH.
Even easier, why doesn't he just make his own example configuration files and commit them to the Marlin examples directory?

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
It's pretty much all self-serving code but I like to think I'm a Marlin contributor :)

The X6 was one of the first LPC1768 based boards that wasn't based on the Smoothieboard design, making the board work required cleaning up a bunch of hacks/assumptions in the Marlin code.