Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Damned Ultimaker revised Cura's default settings, so my Taulman 910 prints were looking like melted ice cream instead of gears.

Fixed it finally, but holy crap. I chased the hell out of that problem. Thought the filament was moist, so I got a filament dryer, put it in the oven, and finally ordered another spool (which clearly was packed in Florida, because holy crap was it making rice crispy noises when it was feeding).

FYI, if you're printing things with detail in Nylon and/or Alloy 910, make sure you set Combing Mode to "ALL". That really nailed it for me.

Good to know. Haven't printed with 910 in a while, and I know all about Cura changing shit without notice. Like enabling tree supports by default...

NfnwzBg.jpg

I saw a commercial the other day for a “3D Laser Printer”, and it looked less industrial than what I’ve seen you guys using.

Is it going to also be part of the crack-like industry that inkjet printers are? Buy the printer cheap then sell your children to buy medium?

I remember seeing someone’s idea of the kitchen of the future, and there were no stored dishes. Everything was printed and recycled. That wouldn’t work if the plastic junk gets too expensive. ?

That was how filament 3D printers started out, expensive ass proprietary filament. Then there was a race to the bottom once home use started to become the norm.
Right now the powdered metal stuff is expensive, but it should start dropping

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Tonight on the shit of thesus: a Hatchet man (whatever the fuck that is) that you can hang from your rearview mirror.

Friend of ours got a new boyfriend, and apparently he's a jugaloo. He heard I had a 3D printer and he says "huh he got a 3D printer he can make me a hatchetman I can hang from my mirror it'll be awesome" ...guess I've got a job to do.

I'm taking bets on what kind of car the kid drives, and whether his mom owns it.

Tonight on the shit of thesus: a Hatchet man (whatever the fuck that is) that you can hang from your rearview mirror.

Friend of ours got a new boyfriend, and apparently he's a jugaloo. He heard I had a 3D printer and he says "huh he got a 3D printer he can make me a hatchetman I can hang from my mirror it'll be awesome" ...guess I've got a job to do.

I'm taking bets on what kind of car the kid drives, and whether his mom owns it.

riced out honda civic?

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
@gee

Any idea how cheaply one of these could be made?
The controller they're using is a cheap "STC-1000" which you can buy for 5 bucks off aliexpress. Homebrewers love the things, lots of information describing how to hook them up.

As for the hot tube, dunno for sure how they've got it built. I'm guessing there's a length of 1/4" copper tube in there, with a heating cartridge and the sensor for the STC bonded to it.

Think you could wrangle up a possible parts list for the hot end? The filament is going to kill me, but I've already got a better source for refractory material for sintering.

Trying to flash firmware. Not reading the ISP plug in for the printer board.

Code:
> Executing task: C:\Users\***\.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe run --target upload <

Processing sanguino_atmega1284p (platform: atmelavr; board: sanguino_atmega1284p; framework: arduino)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/atmelavr/sanguino_atmega1284p.html
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR 2.0.0 > Sanguino ATmega1284p (16MHz)
HARDWARE: ATMEGA1284P 16MHz, 16KB RAM, 127KB Flash
PACKAGES:
 - framework-arduino-avr 5.0.0
 - tool-avrdude 1.60300.190424 (6.3.0)
 - toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
Converting Marlin.ino
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 16 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <U8glib-HAL> 0.4.1
|   |-- <Wire> 1.0
|   |-- <SPI> 1.0
|-- <LiquidCrystal> 1.3.4
|   |-- <Wire> 1.0
|-- <TMCStepper> 0.6.2
|   |-- <SoftwareSerial> 1.0
|   |-- <SPI> 1.0
|-- <Adafruit NeoPixel> 1.2.5
|-- <Adafruit MAX31865 library> 1.0.3
|   |-- <SPI> 1.0
|-- <LiquidTWI2>
|   |-- <Wire> 1.0
|-- <Arduino-L6470> 0.7.0
|-- <SailfishLCD>
|-- <SailfishRGB_LED>
|   |-- <Wire> 1.0
|-- <SlowSoftI2CMaster>
|-- <TMC26XStepper>
|   |-- <SPI> 1.0
|-- <Wire> 1.0
|-- <SPI> 1.0
Building in release mode
Checking size .pio\build\sanguino_atmega1284p\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [===       ]  29.3% (used 4806 bytes from 16384 bytes)
Flash: [==========]  99.9% (used 129920 bytes from 130048 bytes)
Configuring upload protocol...
AVAILABLE: arduino
CURRENT: upload_protocol = arduino
Looking for upload port...
Error: Please specify `upload_port` for environment or use global `--upload-port` option.
For some development platforms it can be a USB flash drive (i.e. /media/<user>/<device name>)
*** [upload] Explicit exit, status 1
============================== [FAILED] Took 8.06 seconds ==============================

Environment                   Status    Duration
----------------------------  --------  ------------
megaatmega2560                IGNORED
megaatmega1280                IGNORED
rambo                         IGNORED
FYSETC_F6_13                  IGNORED
sanguino_atmega644p           IGNORED
sanguino_atmega1284p          FAILED    00:00:08.062
melzi                         IGNORED
melzi_optiboot                IGNORED
at90usb1286_cdc               IGNORED
at90usb1286_dfu               IGNORED
DUE                           IGNORED
DUE_USB                       IGNORED
DUE_debug                     IGNORED
LPC1768                       IGNORED
LPC1769                       IGNORED
STM32F103RC                   IGNORED
STM32F103RC_fysetc            IGNORED
STM32F103RC_bigtree           IGNORED
STM32F103RC_bigtree_USB       IGNORED
STM32F103RC_bigtree_512K      IGNORED
STM32F103RC_bigtree_512K_USB  IGNORED
STM32F103RE                   IGNORED
STM32F103RE_bigtree           IGNORED
STM32F103RE_bigtree_USB       IGNORED
STM32F4                       IGNORED
STM32F7                       IGNORED
ARMED                         IGNORED
STM32F103VE_longer            IGNORED
mks_robin                     IGNORED
mks_robin_pro                 IGNORED
mks_robin_lite                IGNORED
mks_robin_lite3               IGNORED
mks_robin_mini                IGNORED
mks_robin_nano                IGNORED
jgaurora_a5s_a1               IGNORED
STM32F103CB_malyan            IGNORED
chitu_f103                    IGNORED
FLYF407ZG                     IGNORED
FYSETC_S6                     IGNORED
STM32F407VE_black             IGNORED
BIGTREE_SKR_PRO               IGNORED
BIGTREE_BTT002                IGNORED
teensy31                      IGNORED
teensy35                      IGNORED
esp32                         IGNORED
linux_native                  IGNORED
SAMD51_grandcentral_m4        IGNORED
rumba32_f446ve                IGNORED
mks_rumba32                   IGNORED
include_tree                  IGNORED
======================== 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:08.062 ========================
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 1

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

This fucker is supposed to be blue, right? Not red?

Same god damned problem I had with my Delta.

evC4fIl.jpg
I'm not sure that a ribbon cable gets the pin alignments right between the ICSP headers. Just use the female->female individual jumpers.

Also, you should only have to use that setup once, to flash the bootloader. After that, you can use the USB serial interface straight to the 1284p board.

This whole printing metal objects thing blows my mind. You guys are awesome, and in an awesome period of time.

I'm not sure that a ribbon cable gets the pin alignments right between the ICSP headers. Just use the female->female individual jumpers.

Also, you should only have to use that setup once, to flash the bootloader. After that, you can use the USB serial interface straight to the 1284p board.
I think the problem is at another level. I have the correct driver for this board, I've checked pinout. Even if the ribbon cable were not plugged in that light should turn blue once it is plugged into my laptop which would signify that it is recognized.
When I check the connected devices, there is nothing on any COM port which would show that this thing is hooked up.

I think, back when I was trying to get the Smoothieboard working, that I set a hard setting for arduino boards to come in on and now its borked.

Heres the same chip plugged in on a random video.

I think the problem is at another level. I have the correct driver for this board, I've checked pinout. Even if the ribbon cable were not plugged in that light should turn blue once it is plugged into my laptop which would signify that it is recognized.
When I check the connected devices, there is nothing on any COM port which would show that this thing is hooked up.

I think, back when I was trying to get the Smoothieboard working, that I set a hard setting for arduino boards to come in on and now its borked.

Heres the same chip plugged in on a random video.

I have no input specific to that board unfortunately.

Don't have any arduino unos hanging out?