Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Just bought a Prusa MK52 magnetic heatbed clone and a couple spring steel sheets off AliExpress, to throw on the Shit of Thesus (tm).

The spring steel build plate should make getting prints off the printer way easier, and it'll increase my print bed dimensions from 210x210 to 250x210 as a bonus.

Update in a couple months when the slow boat from China finally comes.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I got an amazon gift card for my birthday from my sister, so I ordered a glass bed, and an auto-leveling probe, as well as some vibration dampers and clipping filters for each stepper on the Ender 3.

I already have the arduino, so hopefully modding the firmware of this git will be reasonably trouble free. I should probably order some 1-wire header extenders, but I'll wait until I know lengths and probably just go get those at the local parts house.

I'm probably going to octoprint it at some point in the near future, too, and maybe one of those fancy extruders that has the filament feeder built in, because the bowden tube on the ender 3 is annoying for filament changes.

Right now, I'm printing some Z-axis motor shims to isolate the Z motor from vibrations through the frame. Gonna add a blower guard next (whoever thought to put a motor on the top side of the processor, blowing down into the box for this thing was an idiot).

haha, welcome to the stage of modding your printer.

Glass bed and autoleveling sensor (BLtouch?) are gonna be good upgrades.
What's the "clipping filters"? TL-smoother things with diodes in them or something? if so, don't use those with the A4988 drivers in your ender, those are intended to fix an issue with a certain TI motor driver that barely anyone uses.
I probably wouldn't shim the Z motor. You want the frame and motion system of the printer to have as little elasticity as possible.

• Gravy
haha, welcome to the stage of modding your printer.

Glass bed and autoleveling sensor (BLtouch?) are gonna be good upgrades.
What's the "clipping filters"? TL-smoother things with diodes in them or something? if so, don't use those with the A4988 drivers in your ender, those are intended to fix an issue with a certain TI motor driver that barely anyone uses.
I probably wouldn't shim the Z motor. You want the frame and motion system of the printer to have as little elasticity as possible.
Yeah, the TL-smoother things. The ender has 42-34 stepper motors, I guess? They were recommended to solve the salmon skin issue I have with taller prints.

And yeah, the BLtouch probe is the one I ordered.

The shim is to help with binding on the Z axis, which has something like 2mm of play between the top and the bottom of the shaft. Just moves the stepper motor over about 1mm, and straightens the Z rod out.

Yeah, the TL-smoother exists to fix a specific issue with DRV8825 drivers at low stepper speeds. I can't see how it'll make a difference the A4988 drivers used on the Ender controller.

Salmon skin could be the result of friction on the X or Y axis and/or low motor currents. Turning up the X/Y stepper motor currents should help, it'll increase the torque but make the motors run hotter/louder. There's pots by each of the motor drivers, grab your DMM and measure the Vref value straight off the face of the pots with your positive lead, power supply negative with negative lead. Let me now what you measure.

I'm running Vref of 0.65V on the X/Y axis of my printer. Makes a racket and heats up the motors, but piles of torque for printing fast.

BLtouch = good.

Shim = sounds like a good mod... and shit, you'd think that Creality would get that right before they get their factory to shit out thousands of these printers.

• Gravy
i am getting increasingly interested in 3d printing, but dont need another project, and also dont have space for a printer.

in short, i dont want to actually futz around with a printer, i just want to design and print stuff. on someone elses printer.

i am getting increasingly interested in 3d printing, but dont need another project, and also dont have space for a printer.

in short, i dont want to actually futz around with a printer, i just want to design and print stuff. on someone elses printer.
Makerspace nearby?
Could also send it off to any of a large number of places for printing, but then it gets cheaper to get your own printer kinda quick

Printers don't take up much space. @kiwi is rockin' one of these things, 99% of the stuff I print could be done on this printer, and it's a well built machine that won't turn into a project like mine or @Jehannum's chinese compromises.

Amazon product ASIN B073ZLSMFT
Buy a cheap roll of PLA to go with it. Then just follow Makers Muse on youtube for some Fusion tutorials.

yeah, pretty much anyhting i would build would be smaller than 5 inches in the small dimension.

Printers don't take up much space. @kiwi is rockin' one of these things, 99% of the stuff I print could be done on this printer, and it's a well built machine that won't turn into a project like mine or @Jehannum's chinese compromises.

Amazon product ASIN B073ZLSMFT
Buy a cheap roll of PLA to go with it. Then just follow Makers Muse on youtube for some Fusion tutorials.

My son has decided he’s going to use it to manufacture a product he can sell at our annual homeschool craft bazaar. Now just to decide what to make.