Ontopic The 3D printing thread

I made a thing. Couch beer holder. Threw the design together in openscad in about 10 minutes.

YXE8LTZh.jpg

Uses about 50g worth of plastic, the stripes were scraps of filament I had left over on some old spools.

I think it'd be cool to make one that looks like a spider, or like some sort of space rocket or something, but I ain't artistic.
Was the doge able to tip it?

what 3d printers do you dudes have
The "shit of thesus"

Started life as an "Alunar M505" aka Anet A8 but I'm quickly running out of original parts. New power supply, new wiring, new frame built from aluminum extrusions, new extruder, new rods/bearings on the X/Y axis, new Y carriage plate, new heated bed, new graphical LCD, inductive autolevel sensor added...

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog and Jehannum
i dont like how you can't reuse all the powder

also the uh

price
Price is starting to come down. There are at least half a dozen printers with a smaller build volume than would be ideal for $50k and less.

Formlabs has the Fuse 1 beta coming out soon, I am very interested in it.

But we've been looking at EOS stuff

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and MadDog
NSCC here has a DMLS machine.

It's a bitch to run. Very slow, uses a fuckton of argon gas, and you have to grind the print off a metal build surface when it's done, and grind/polish where all the supports go.

3D printed metal parts tho.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Went to a local 3D printing seminar yesterday. They were showing off Stratasys FDM (yawn) and Polyjet (kinda neat, but not really useful for us) machines, but the really cool thing was Desktop Metal's tech - https://www.desktopmetal.com/

It's pretty much the same as the metal injection molding process, except rather than injection molding the green parts, they've got a 3D printer designed that can print green parts directly, and they provide a debinding machine and kiln that can process and sinter to make final parts.

My co-worker has a ceramic kiln, now we're thinking of instrumenting it up with a temperature controller, buying some metal filled 3D filament and attempting it ourselves.

@gee , start 3d printing your dick already and mass producing the " Gee your dick smells terrific " brand . It's not just for diddling anymore , there are other uses , ie protests , doorstops , listening enhancement devices . . .

Went to a local 3D printing seminar yesterday. They were showing off Stratasys FDM (yawn) and Polyjet (kinda neat, but not really useful for us) machines, but the really cool thing was Desktop Metal's tech - https://www.desktopmetal.com/

It's pretty much the same as the metal injection molding process, except rather than injection molding the green parts, they've got a 3D printer designed that can print green parts directly, and they provide a debinding machine and kiln that can process and sinter to make final parts.

My co-worker has a ceramic kiln, now we're thinking of instrumenting it up with a temperature controller, buying some metal filled 3D filament and attempting it ourselves.
Upgrade your nozzle first or you'll burn through them. Found this a while back
http://olssonruby.com

Upgrade your nozzle first or you'll burn through them. Found this a while back
http://olssonruby.com
I bought a bag of 25 cheap brass nozzles off aliexpress. I'm good for the next few years.

I use a 0.5mm nozzle for everything. Prints a little quicker and clogs less than 0.4, prints might be a bit less purdy but I mostly print functional stuff.

If you're printing a lot with the metal stuff you might still burn through them pretty quickly. I've seen quotes of 1-3kg of filament wearing a brass nozzle till its unusable.

I've got a JGAurora A5 here, belongs to the dude who ran the shop that did the donair ornament for me. He brought it in hoping to do large format printing on it, but it's been an unusable POS, and he hasn't had the time to get it working.

We're running off another pile of ornaments for a local tourist expo thing, determined to get this thing working because huge print bed. But sooo many problems.

Big one: it's got a permanent glass bed, and it's warped, like 0.25mm higher in the center than in the outer corners. I'm either gonna have to throw a BLTouch type of thing on there and do autoleveling to correct it, or get a replacement heatbed on there somehow. And print either in the center or in a ring around the outside for now, until I get that figured out and thrown on there.

The "shit of thesus"

Started life as an "Alunar M505" aka Anet A8 but I'm quickly running out of original parts. New power supply, new wiring, new frame built from aluminum extrusions, new extruder, new rods/bearings on the X/Y axis, new Y carriage plate, new heated bed, new graphical LCD, inductive autolevel sensor added...
I just bought an Anet A8 for my daughter.