Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Holy shit! Awesome. And how did the news find out about it?
Posted the original rotating ornament video on /r/halifax as a joke, then the local news blog "Haligonia" got hold of it and posted it on their facebook feed, and it kinda exploded from there. Started getting contacted by a bunch of different places after that.

Donairs are a halifax invention, but they're kind of a local cliche. "hey everyone I'm coming to visit halifax, what should I do?" "well first you gotta get a donair"...

There's constantly upstart restaurants making bastardized donair things, and one of the local breweries even made a donair beer which I never got to try, but I'm told was pretty horrible. And the Donair Cam recently started, and I think most of halifax said "oh god, not more donair shit..."

I came up with the christmas ornament as a response to it, expecting to just piss a bunch of people off. Totally didn't expect it to explode like it did.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Well, there's thingiverse, which is full of predesigned stuff. I've pulled so many things off that site, like replacement battery doors for mice and stuff.

There's also tons of tutorials on how to create stuff in Fusion360, Tinkercad, etc for "cad like" stuff. Lots of people design more 'artsy' stuff in Blender.

• Gravy
Well, there's thingiverse, which is full of predesigned stuff. I've pulled so many things off that site, like replacement battery doors for mice and stuff.

There's also tons of tutorials on how to create stuff in Fusion360, Tinkercad, etc for "cad like" stuff. Lots of people design more 'artsy' stuff in Blender.
like those bongs :)

Interesting, searching "bong" on thingiverse = zero results, guess it's a blocked search. Lots of results for 'water pipe' though.

I wouldn't make one out of plastic, at least any common 3D printing plastic, as hot smoke would probably warp it.

I'm willing to bet that its steeper than you think. Most of the shit that each of us do seems, by nature, relatively easy.
Entirely possible. I seemed to pick up Solidworks a lot quicker than a lot of people I've seen approach it.

Might depend on how your brain is wired. However, you can still do a lot of cludging and kinda-working that would result in decent enough models

• Gravy
holy fuck. That is not a small amount of printing time. Are these small enough that you can print multiple of them on a coupon?
Eurekatec had several printers going at once, including my own.

The ornament is made with 3 pieces - the main body, the clear piece that snaps in from the back, and the 'meat'. I can do 18 bodies (about 6 hours), 56 meat (about 12 hours) or 25 clear pieces (about 3 hours) in one go on my own printer.

I made a thing. Couch beer holder. Threw the design together in openscad in about 10 minutes.

YXE8LTZh.jpg

Uses about 50g worth of plastic, the stripes were scraps of filament I had left over on some old spools.

I think it'd be cool to make one that looks like a spider, or like some sort of space rocket or something, but I ain't artistic.

I'm willing to bet that its steeper than you think. Most of the shit that each of us do seems, by nature, relatively easy.

I spent a lot of time teaching myself 3D modeling in Lightwave. It really isnt' that tough. Not like texturing. That's where the real talent is.