Halp Thanksgiving Food ideas

3dRPd.jpg

i was randomly thinking about this exact image when doing something around the house.

this is an amazing dish my step mom makes every holiday. shit is more addictive than crack.

Sausage Dressing

1 lb. hot ground sausage, cooked and drained and crumbled
9 slices Pepperide Farm white bread or good quality bread
3 eggs
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
giblet or chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9x12 casserole pan.

Tear the bread into small pieces and dip into water or chicken stock until soggy and place in a large bowl. Blend all the ingredients with a big spoon and spread in the casserole pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until crispy on top.

Note: you can add chopped apples to the dressing if you want.
We use Tennessee Pride hot sausage for the dressing but other brands are just fine too.

Menu so far at my place:

Turkey
Turkey, with this brine: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/my-favorite-turkey-brine/

Honey rubbed under the skin prior to roasting, maybe a few herbs, not sure yet. May inject it as well, unsure.

Stuffing

Sausage mushroom stuffing
http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2008/12/stuffing-with-mushrooms-sausage-and.html

Sides
Garden Salad
Homemade bread
sauteed green beans
cranberry sauce made from fresh cranberries (and the stuff from a can, because lets be honest, thats stuff is delicious)
garlic and parsley mashed potatoes, made from red potatoes, with skins

Desserts

Pumpkin pie, graham cracker crust

needed still

roll recipe.
anything else suggested.

looking for a good turkey brine recipe. Suggestions?
I'd recommend something like this one:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-brine/

Pretty basic - salt and savory herbs, vegetable stock as the base. The citrus in the brine you posted might be an interesting flavor for a turkey, but I still think turkey's best with savory herbs and a bit of salt on it, little else. And if you're brining for a few days (as you should) there's not really much point in injecting.

Whatever you do, just make sure you buy a non-seasoned turkey. Butterball turkeys are injected with a brine/oil solution - they won't take brine because they're full of it already, and you're paying extra for oil/salt/water to boot. I'd highly suggest hitting up a local farmer and getting something free-range, in my experience the meat's better.

But knowing you, you've already ordered your turkey from amazon ;)

and yep, got an unseasoned, non-frozen turkey. This morning. I may not be the best planner.

Brine at room temperature, you'll be fine with 16 hours and it'll be as good as a couple days in the fridge.

I use a white plastic pail that cat litter came in for brining. Perfect size for a turkey.

i just stuff the turkey in a plastic bag, fill bag with brine. Lets me use less brine.

Toss the whole thing in a 5gal bucket in case it leaks.

Tell your co-workers that your gimp got loose from the basement dungeon and is scaring the neighbors, and you have to rush home.

neighbors.. pfft. I dont have neighbors. At least not in close enough range to see the gimp hopping about the yard. He cant get too far since i removed his left leg after the last escape attempt