GAY Teacher investigated for anti-gay facebook posts

The fundamental difference I'm seeing here is that you care more about the individual property owner than the good of the nation. Being able to fire someone because you don't like them is extremely bad for a country to prosper.

America should take a look at the Australian Fair Work Act of 2009.

If property owners aren't free to do with their property as they see fit, what is their incentive to own property? Where is their liberty? The worker can be employed anywhere. The property owner, on the other hand, would effectively be owned by the State.

Last edited:
I thought this story might be related.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/10/all_fags_will_burn_in_hell_you.php

​Nathan Joel Kasselder and a couple of friends were in F Bar in Montrose last night when they needed a cab, so they called Yellow Cab.

The cab came equipped with three video monitors for passengers, all of which were playing a reggae music video.

The video suddenly stopped for a second, and on the screen flashed the message "All fags will burn in hell." Then the video resumed.

This is my neighborhood bar we go to every so often.

The fundamental difference I'm seeing here is that you care more about the individual property owner than the good of the nation. Being able to fire someone because you don't like them is extremely bad for a country to prosper.

If an employer is a douche nobody will work for him. He should have rights too though.

Unions ability to protect lazy peoples jobs are the downfall of this country. I'm all for collective bargaining but forcing companies to hold onto non productive workers is bull shit.

If an employer is a douche nobody will work for him. He should have rights too though.

Unions ability to protect lazy peoples jobs are the downfall of this country. I'm all for collective bargaining but forcing companies to hold onto non productive workers is bull shit.

You know this isn't true. And unions are not the downfall of this country. They are however a convenient scapegoat.

You ever work for a union? The only guy doing actual work is the sucker. Everyone else is about doing as little as possible and if your making then look bad you get shit.

Yeah those kids in China working for pennies with missing fingers and shit are really thankful they don't have unions. :fly:

You ever work for a union? The only guy doing actual work is the sucker. Everyone else is about doing as little as possible and if your making then look bad you get shit.

Is that the threat of losing one's job is the only incentive to work?

Anecdote time. Last night at soccer practice I was talking to a guy who is an aerospace engineer by trade. He mentioned how his brother in law works in finance at GM, and how a typical GM plant will require 1,200 workers to function - 600 for the day shift and 600 for the night shift. That same GM plant, however, will keep 2,500 workers on the books (roughly twice the necessary number) due to union mandates about taking time off. In other words each union worker works roughly half of what they're paid to work, so twice that amount of workers is required to run the plant. That colossal inefficiency and waste of resources is a business killer.

I looked at this: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pages/default.aspx which I guess is the actual implementation. That shit would never fly in the US for private companies for a lot of reasons. If you can believe it we actually have more stringent regulations with regards to civil service employees though. In NY (for example) there are pay-bands and locality pay with mandated breaks and paid leave not to mention it's nearly impossible to fire someone.

That's pretty ridiculous, guys.

Unions employees get fired all the goddamned time.
I worked for a venue that had contract with stage hands union for half a year once. They literally had a couple junkies on every shift who had to be 'watched' so that they didn't steal shit or burn the place down. The thing was they were senior employees and essentially untouchable as long as they didn't get arrested at work.

Last edited:
Is that the threat of losing one's job is the only incentive to work?

Yes. If you don't meet company objectives your performance evaluation is poor and you will be out of the job. that threat is good enough motivation to do one's job as prescribed by the company, don't you think?

Its damn difficult.

We had a lady get written up for over fifty no call no shows and the union protected her job everytime somehow.

She finally showed up drunk one night, nothing the teamsters could do to save her ass that time.

look above, I alert said unions are good for collective bargaining.

And whats your incentive to be productive if there are no repercussions for doing nothing?

There are repercussions! The union negotiates your contract and you follow it. Breaking the contract terminates your employment. Following your contract isn't lazy. Coworkers in private non-union industry hate the overachiever just as much. I promise.

Not nearly as easily as a non-union employee. Far more red tape to get through and the severity of the incident is far higher to trigger a termination if the employee is unionized.

Yes. If you don't meet company objectives your performance evaluation is poor and you will be out of the job. that threat is good enough motivation to do one's job as prescribed by the company, don't you think?

I chose jobs based on pay not security.

And what are these GM workers being paid?

I don't recall the specific number, but I believe his example was in the 60-70k range. Of more note than that, though, was that a 20-year employee made on average .50 cents per hour more than a 2-month employee. Which I found amazing. Take that with a grain of salt though, since I cannot verify. Again, it's word of mouth.