GAY Teacher investigated for anti-gay facebook posts

There are repercussions! The union negotiates your contract and you follow it. Breaking the contract terminates your employment. Following your contract isn't lazy. Coworkers in private non-union industry hate the overachiever just as much. I promise.

I am in a private non-union industry and I celebrate my coworker overachievers because they usually get promoted and get a raise. Their achievements do not reflect that I am a poor worker.

I don't recall the specific number, but I believe his example was in the 60-70k range. Of more note than that, though, was that a 20-year employee made on average .50 cents per hour more than a 2-month employee. Which I found amazing. Take that with a grain of salt though, since I cannot verify. Again, it's word of mouth.

Yeah. Most of these stories go like that. A friend of a friend this and that.

I deal with union workers on an almost daily basis. There are a few rotten ones who don't return phone calls and stuff, but most of them are helpful and do their job well.

There are repercussions! The union negotiates your contract and you follow it. Breaking the contract terminates your employment. Following your contract isn't lazy. Coworkers in private non-union industry hate the overachiever just as much. I promise.

Production is negotiated out of most union contacts. No where in the teamsters master agreement or any supplements will you find an amount if work that needs to be completed by an employee in a single shift.

also raises are dictated by seniority not performance so there is zero incentive to ever excel at anything. Your incentive us to stay on par with your weakest employee.

America! Fuck yea!

As for the original post, I guess I will chime in Eileen. If the employee was working for a private company, the employer should have every right to fire anyone they choose for any reason, the same idea any retailer should have the ability to kick any customer out for any reason. If that employer is homophobic or racist, fine, don't apply for that position. Post in a blog or on a news site about what that company does to its employees or what type of people run that company (because that is your 1st amendment right, too), but find some place else that DOESN'T discriminate. The original employer will learn their mistake if they can't get any applicants anymore or if sales are affected with their product because of boycotts.

Yeah. Most of these stories go like that. A friend of a friend this and that.

I deal with union workers on an almost daily basis. There are a few rotten ones who don't return phone calls and stuff, but most of them are helpful and do their job well.

With my current job I deal with electrical unions all the time. The guys with a full time gig somewhere are good. As soon as we have to draw from the union hall you get suck with all kind of rejects who will try to stall a project so they can stay on as long as possible, cause they know when the job is over they are back to sitting at the hall. For the most part I dont mind trade unions at all though. It's almost purely collective bargaining and nothing else, like unions should be.

Last edited:
With my current job I deal with electrical unions all the time. The guys with a full time gig somewhere are good. As soon as we have to draw from the union hall you get suck with all kind of rejects who will try to stall a project so they can stay on as long as possible, cause they know when the job is over they are back to sitting at the hall. For the most part I dont mind trade unions at all though. It's almost purely collective bargaining and nothing else, like unions should be.

I think we are mostly in agreement. It's my personal belief that private unions are fine. I don't believe in public unions for a lot of reasons. Looking at GM, the national trucking industry, and every other struggling cyclical business in the last few years, the private unions have bent over backwards to work with management. Because they know if the business fails, that's not the best interest of their members. In government it's different since they can borrow and aren't allowed to fail. Add on top of that a conflict of interest that exists because public union workers are allowed to vote. In what other business are you allowed to vote for your boss? Forget it.

I think we are mostly in agreement. It's my personal belief that private unions are fine. I don't believe in public unions for a lot of reasons. Looking at GM, the national trucking industry, and every other struggling cyclical business in the last few years, the private unions have bent over backwards to work with management. Because they know if the business fails, that's not the best interest of their members. In government it's different since they can borrow and aren't allowed to fail. Add on top of that a conflict of interest that exists because public union workers are allowed to vote. In what other business are you allowed to vote for your boss? Forget it.
Those companies that have 360 performance reviews.

Yeah those kids in China working for pennies with missing fingers and shit are really thankful they don't have unions. :fly:

bors.jpg

you vote for the union steward which is usually the guy who does the least so you want him off the line.

GM was plagued with union abuse too which from what i've seen has largely been corrected now that they're collaborating with management instead of fighting it because they realize they're all in it together, the abuse was mainly through the parts where they had to keep a people on staff for 10 years after it discontinued a part. So... a guy would sit at home collecting a paycheck for 10 years if whatever he did was discontinued, and after 10 years he'd bid out a new position at the plant. :wtf:

they need to drop pensions too and give everyone 401ks.

I am in a private non-union industry and I celebrate my coworker overachievers because they usually get promoted and get a raise. Their achievements do not reflect that I am a poor worker.
Fucking lols. This isn't related to unions: the only thing I've ever seen overachievers get is more work assigned without promotions or more pay, and then become targets for everyone else. Awards are just bullshit excuses not to pay more.

Looking at GM, the national trucking industry, and every other struggling cyclical business in the last few years, the private unions have bent over backwards to work with management.

Is that true? An honest question here. What little I've read on the issue says exactly the opposite. Unions demanding minimum hours, requiring the Big 3 to pay workers to stop working, insane health care demands...

Is that true? An honest question here. What little I've read on the issue says exactly the opposite. Unions demanding minimum hours, requiring the Big 3 to pay workers to stop working, insane health care demands...

I think what you're talking about is the Jobs Bank proposal. That was stupid and I'm pretty sure the UAW gave that up. They also gave up the right to strike, they gave a reprieve to GM for payments to the union healthcare trust, a $4/hr wage cut.

This was all in 2009 I think. I know there is a new labor contract that is in the works now. No idea what that's looking like, but my guess is the unions will probably be greedy, since the U.S. government is now a 27% owner of GM.

One of the reasons this country fails so miserably, and will probably always fail miserably, is that we go out of our way to establish cliques and remind ourselves how different everyone is. Unity in this country is a veil.

I remember being taught in Jr. High U.S. history that this country was a melting pot, now it seems more like a fruit salad. :(