Sweeeet. Scholarships and hand-outs, here I come!!!

fly said:
That was kinda my point. Things ARE that way.

I know that was your point, and MY point is that in order to fix that problem, and it IS a problem, you have to coax people into accepting the solution. You can't just say "Get out there and learn english." Because no one will take that initiative on their own. It's a big, scary world out there filled with people walking around talking like aliens. It's better to stay in your own familiar community/nation.

You have to "force" them to by basing their lives around it. If English is what makes this nation's local and state programs go around, then they won't have a choice. And you wouldn't be forcing them to observe it at all times, you'd simply be forcing them to learn how to comprehend it and use it to communicate within and be a contributing member of society. They can of course still go home and speak however they wish.

fly said:
I think that goes against the very basis of our nation, but that's just me...

I thought the founding fathers rebelled because they didn't want any of their vast personal estates gobbled up by taxation. They did it for aristocratic freedom!

fly said:
I think that goes against the very basis of our nation, but that's just me...

So it's cool for you to walk around amongst masses of people all speaking dozens of different languages, not knowing what the hell the others are talking about? I figure people move in order to make a change in their lives. And part of that change should definitely be adapting to and fitting in with the cultural and societal components of wherever they've decided to go. If a person is going to resist that, why bother moving?

itburnswhenipee said:
I thought the founding fathers rebelled because they didn't want any of their vast personal estates gobbled up by taxation. They did it for aristocratic freedom!
Taxation without representation was a cover.

Sarcasmo said:
So it's cool for you to walk around amongst masses of people all speaking dozens of different languages, not knowing what the hell the others are talking about? I figure people move in order to make a change in their lives. And part of that change should definitely be adapting to and fitting in with the cultural and societal components of wherever they've decided to go. If a person is going to resist that, why bother moving?
Doesn't really bother me. It used to, in my other life as a conservative.

itburnswhenipee said:
Pretty much, yeah. Bless them, bless them all :heart:

Unfortunately the way things are now would have them spinning faster than Janet Reno can mix paint in their graves

ChikkenNoodul said:
Pretty much, yeah. Bless them, bless them all :heart:

Unfortunately the way things are now would have them spinning faster than Janet Reno can mix paint in their graves
I would love for the Founding Fathers to come back to life and call every one of these politicians a motherfucker.

Sarcasmo said:
Make sure you include at least one reference each to shillelaghs and Lucky Charms cereal.
I would have, except for the fact I submitted a few hours ago :(

Oh well, there's a few more parts to come.

fly said:
Doesn't really bother me. It used to, in my other life as a conservative.
You technique for debating is flawed. Simple humourous answers not a valid points. There is only one person I play along with who argues this way.

You are also using "melting pot" in the wrong sense. It originall meant assimilation, not multiculturalism.

Popular use of the melting-pot metaphor is believed to have derived from Israel Zangwill's play The Melting Pot, which was first performed in Washington, D.C. in 1908.

The melting pot idea is most strongly associated with the United States, particularly in reference to "model" immigrant groups of the past. Past generations of immigrants in America, it is argued by some, became successful by working to shed their historic identities and adopt the ways of their new country. The process of shedding one's native culture and becoming absorbed into the ways of the "host" society is known as assimilation.

FlamingGlory said:
You technique for debating is flawed. Simple humourous answers not a valid points. There is only one person I play along with who argues this way.

Please spell check next time. Thanks.

You are also using "melting pot" in the wrong sense. It originall meant assimilation, not multiculturalism.

Read down a little further, till you get to: Multiculturalist view of the melting-pot theory

FlamingGlory said:
Is that me? Because I was/am on my grammar schools debating team, and trust me, I'll argue even if I'm wrong. However, being serious on the internet is stupid, especially about these things. You need to respect other peoples views and principles, no matter what yours are.

fly said:
Please spell check next time. Thanks.

Read down a little further, till you get to: Multiculturalist view of the melting-pot theory
Fuck tha spell check! (I was eating and typing with my left hand, honestly how often don't I spell things right?)

Yes, and youll notice that it says 'salad bowl theory'. Not melting pot :) I happen to hate multiculturalism. There is no white culture according to the american school system, just various shades of brown. I refuse to sit through anymore classes on african/mexican/chinese holidays, it just isnt relevent but god forbid I write an essay on angels in 3rd grade. :hate:

Last edited:
Galen said:
Is that me? Because I was/am on my grammar schools debating team, and trust me, I'll argue even if I'm wrong. However, being serious on the internet is stupid, especially about these things. You need to respect other peoples views and principles, no matter what yours are.
No that isnt you. I meant completly disregarding the other post and just spouting something random. I dont expect people to be serious on the internet, but there is such a thing as posting quality.

im a first generation american, my parents came here from the dominican republic when they were in their teens...

i grow up speaking both languages, and from kindergarden through the first grade i was in bilingual classes (not ESL) and it worked well because it intergrated both languages. sadly enough i've noticed that the educational system is cutting down on this program (at least in the city that i grew up in--my mom still teaches there), and i dont understand why. it works pretty well, you keep the language you were raised speaking, but you learn english as well. in two years i was perfectly bilingual.
*shrug*
not that this post had much to say really. just things that popped in my head as i read.