Sweeeet. Scholarships and hand-outs, here I come!!!

ChikkenNoodul said:
Well half of my family, and my wife's family came over on the boat speaking Polish, Russian, and Czech in the early part of the last century

They managed to learn English, and teach their children English without any handouts or bi-lingual signs
Thats great, but doesn't always happen in the real world. Would it be great to be able to change that? Sure. Will it ever happen? No.

ChikkenNoodul said:
But it DID happen, and still DOES happen.

I'm not sure why it has to work differently for a certain segment of the population.

I agree with everything Chikken has said. I spent three months in Russia, I learned as much of the language as I could while I was there and was actually fairly good at it by the time I left (I could understand pretty much everything and get my ideas across), and that was only after 3 months, if I was there for a year or two, I would have had no problem learning the language. There just needs to be more effort, I know way to many people who don't even attempt to learn english, they just expect everyone to cater to them and their needs.

kiwi said:
I agree with everything Chikken has said. I spent three months in Russia, I learned as much of the language as I could while I was there and was actually fairly good at it by the time I left (I could understand pretty much everything and get my ideas across), and that was only after 3 months, if I was there for a year or two, I would have had no problem learning the language. There just needs to be more effort, I know way to many people who don't even attempt to learn english, they just expect everyone to cater to them and their needs.
And that is EXACTLY my problem with it, if they were willing to learn - fine I'd be less opposed to help, but most that I've encountered like that don't want to.

kiwi said:
Or they live in an area where English isn't necessary. There are TONS of them.

fly said:

There might be, but I can only speak for the areas in which I've lived. All of been a place where English was a necessity.

The only language I will ever need is English. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm right. I have no interest in languages and even if I did, I suck at it.

Galen said:
The only language I will ever need is English. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm right. I have no interest in languages and even if I did, I suck at it.

Dude, there are enough incomprehensible variations of english to serve mankind for the next ten-thousand years.

/you probably speak one of them

itburnswhenipee said:
Dude, there are enough incomprehensible variations of english to serve mankind for the next ten-thousand years.

/you probably speak one of them
Hi bai, we'll have none o' that guff nar

itburnswhenipee said:
it's funney because it's true.
:D

I had to adopt this neutral pronunciation though as I share my house with two Canadians who could barely understand me at the best of times.

fuck this shit. Make em learn english or send them back to france.

smileynev said:
fuck this shit. Make em learn english or send them back to france.

It's funny you should say that. During my visit to Montreal I was shocked by the number of signs that were french only. The majority of people I met, though, spoke english first... which is to say, when some salesdrone approached me he said something like "Can I help you find something" as opposed to that statement's french counterpart. Maybe it's just a few, very vocal people pushing the french agenda in quebec? You know... like creationists in the states?

/Kansas- pushing education into the dark ages since 2005

fly said:
There wouldnt be areas like that if English was rigidly enforced. Need a drivers license? Sorry you have to fill out the forms in English, need to pay your taxes, snap English only. Make 911 English only and you'd have tons of converts.

FlamingGlory said:
There wouldnt be areas like that if English was rigidly enforced. Need a drivers license? Sorry you have to fill out the forms in English, need to pay your taxes, snap English only. Make 911 English only and you'd have tons of converts.
That's a sweeping decision if ever I heard one. Ever considered running for president?

FlamingGlory said:
But why do even have to be so pompous as to have just one language? Its called the melting pot...

fly said:
But why do even have to be so pompous as to have just one language? Its called the melting pot...

You can't administer a country with several official languages. What a nightmare. How do you choose the languages? English? Spanish? French? Vietnamese? Chinese? Russian? We have people from every nation on earth over here. English is our official language, and as such should be the legal requirement for things like drivers licenses, commercial licenses, taxes, etc.

Integrating into the society that YOU choose to become a part of includes learning the language of that society. It's that simple. If not you eventually end up with entire communities belonging to different ethnicities, entire business being run by those ethnicities, and ordinary citizens who feel too overwhelmed to want to leave their little cliques. Things become segregated, and stay that way.

Sarcasmo said:
You can't administer a country with several official languages. What a nightmare. How do you choose the languages? English? Spanish? French? Vietnamese? Chinese? Russian? We have people from every nation on earth over here. English is our official language, and as such should be the legal requirement for things like drivers licenses, commercial licenses, taxes, etc.

Integrating into the society that YOU choose to become a part of includes learning the language of that society. It's that simple. If not you eventually end up with entire communities belonging to different ethnicities, entire business being run by those ethnicities, and ordinary citizens who feel too overwhelmed to want to leave their little cliques. Things become segregated, and stay that way.

:clap:

Sarcasmo said:
That was kinda my point. Things ARE that way.