Surprise, surprise, surprise....

ceiling fly said:
Either way, it went back into OUR economy...

Partially. You're not factoring in all of cocaine and weed purchased which went into the Columbian economy.:D

KNYTE said:
Um, I guess the "refugees" could've gone out and gotten jobs or something. I know that's a crazy and totally unbelievable idea, but it may have worked.

Or the government could've hired them as part of the cleanup effort and paid them a competitive wage for their part in it.

nononononono. i agree witha all of that. the "they" i was referring to was the government. people are upset by the storm, need immediate care. fine. THEY (fema) gives out free money. not a good idea, we've seen. so what can THEY do next time to ensure that free money isn't blown? fingerprint system where it's traceable? give food and free lodging instead of asking people to do it themselves? i think that's a good idea. "look, this motel 8's open for hurricane residents for one month. be here, use it, get a job and get out. oh, and we'll provide three meals a day at this restaurant/cafeteria." don't put the money into their hands. what did they think?

but since this has already happened, how can you go back and find the abusers? that's what i was referring to.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Exactly my point, but if you make it personal for the super smart people that come up with these harebrained ideas - then they'd take their own time to go after 'em

I honestly have more disdain for the people in government that arrange this kind of crap than the people that take advantage of it. :fly:

i agree completely with you on all of it. i just don't see that it'll happen. so then what?

Now were trying to pawn them off on Canada:fly:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Business/2006/06/14/1631449-sun.html

Houston, we have a labour problem -- and the mayor of the Texas city says he can help.

During a speech at the Global Petroleum Show yesterday, Houston Mayor Bill White said Alberta should look to his city to cope with severe labour shortages.

According to Alberta Human Resources and Employment, 400,000 jobs will be created across the province during the next decade, but there are only about 300,000 new workers expected to enter the workforce.

Coincidentally, White said about 100,000 people living in Houston were left homeless by hurricane Katrina and many of them are looking for work.

"There is a labour pool in Houston," said White.

"I'm not saying they're all model employees ... but I tell you what, there are a lot of people just looking to get back on their feet again."

White said surveys of the new Houston residents show about 70% of those polled said they were willing to undergo job training in an effort to find work.

Meanwhile, earlier in the day, Calgary and Houston inked an economic and cultural co-operation deal. The bilateral agreement, which was mainly a symbolic gesture, will promote business and cultural growth between the two cities.

While the partnerships forged between the two cities have historically centred around the oilpatch, the aerospace industry -- along with engineering, life sciences, arts and culture -- are also expected to benefit from the deal.

Post-secondary institutions also hope to see more opportunities arise between Calgary and Houston.

Galen said:
Quite a large one, infact.

My brother has been trying to get a decent job for i guess its been 2 years now since he moved back up. He has his 4 year degree through UCF and can only get a job as a bartender. He lives in a house with 3 other guys that all have different degrees who all have the same problem. You can find a job but good luck trying to make a career.

BeeRad said:
lol, you think any group really is? if so, who?

The group of people that fix problems and do something as opposed to whining about everyone else's lack of doing something.