Surprise, surprise, surprise....

roadside clean up, city clean up, repair...

or maybe they could learn what they were doing pre-jail and get them to work in that field. construction workers, mechanics, etc.

and i agree, fly. they could practice while locked up and have learned a new skill in order to help them find a job when they leave. i'm sure it's hard to leave after 20 years and get a job.

so why aren't these ideas ever put into practice? i'm sure there's an argument somewhere against what we're talking of. what is it, and what else might be preventing prisoners from working?

Thorn Bird said:
so why aren't these ideas ever put into practice? i'm sure there's an argument somewhere against what we're talking of. what is it, and what else might be preventing prisoners from working?
Human Rights Watch, ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center

Have all pretty much gutted any kind of [even volunteer] labour for prisoners. Most of the cases were based on arguing it's cruel and unusual punishment and a bunch had to do with the fact that prisoners are more likely to be minorities.

My father worked for the State of NY in the '60s at a criminal 'institution' [read asylum] and apparently it was self sufficient because the patients had thier own farm. Improvements for the hospital were paid for by stuff they made etc.

zengirl said:
My brother has a brilliant idea for the prison system, in fact we were just discussing it at lunch this afternoon.

He proposes we put all prisoners in pink, they should all hold hands and skip everywhere they need to go... ban smoking all together, they should only watch the Disney channel, they should all be put to work doing road construction while increasing the speed limit to 65 and if one of them gets hit *shrug* oops, oh well, better luck next time.
:lol: I like this idea, particularly the holding hands part

Girl Scout camp songs should be sung

The Wiggles and Barney must be danced along to

And these activities should all be televised

Utter, and outright humiliation in front of the entire country would be a far more effective deterrent for criminals than the fear of death or regular 3 square meals/HBO/weight lifting imprisonment

ChikkenNoodul said:
:lol: I like this idea, particularly the holding hands part

Girl Scout camp songs should be sung

The Wiggles and Barney must be danced along to

And these activities should all be televised

Utter, and outright humiliation in front of the entire country would be a far more effective deterrent for criminals than the fear of death or regular 3 square meals/HBO/weight lifting imprisonment
I have a friend of mine that did 2 1/2. He still gets free healthcare, cause it shows he's not making money (his job is under the table). WTF WHY DO THEY GET FREE HEALTHCARE AT ALL???