Supreme Court Takes Giant Crap on America

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
Yay for the government cornholing our liberties

So anyway, now the supreme court of the land has announced that cities can actually seize our homes and businesses and sell them to private companies to build such treasured institutions as shopping malls. As a member of the legal field, this baffles the living fuck out of me.

I hope private citizens open fire on whomever attempts to seize their property, because I think that would shock everyone into remembering the principles this country was founded on, and just how seriously we used to take this stuff.

FlyNavy said:
wtf when was this? what bill?

Not a bill, they ruled on a lawsuit filed by citizens of Connecticut who didn't want their homes confiscated and given to rich developers and builders.

Kelo et al v. City of New London, 04-108

FlyNavy said:
wtf when was this? what bill?
Its a Supreme Court Ruling, so short of Congress passing a law countering the ruling, this will be law.

I think this is complete bullshit. Basically means any big developer can buy his way onto a city council, then take over all the land he wants. Great move Supreme Court :rolleyes:

In other interests, the Supreme Court is issuing an inportant ruling on P2P file sharing programs this afternoon. Hopefully, they don't screw this one as well.

Yeah that seems a little borderline communism there. I really hope the libertarian party gets their act together...starts gathering more support. Less government infringement is the way to go...

The idea is crappy, but totally agree with the decision. The Supreme Court is saying that its a state issue, not an issue for the federal government. I applaude them for reducing federal oversight.

fly said:
The idea is crappy, but totally agree with the decision. The Supreme Court is saying that its a state issue, not an issue for the federal government. I applaude them for reducing federal oversight.

On that point I can agree, but it still sucks ass.

states already have that right when applied to building highways and roads...this really doesn't change a whole lot

why_ask_why said:
states already have that right when applied to building highways and roads...this really doesn't change a whole lot
Actually, yes, it does. This gives the states the right to seize personal property and reallocate to other private entities. If you don't see the problem there, I pity you.

theacoustician said:
Its a Supreme Court Ruling, so short of Congress passing a law countering the ruling, this will be law.

I think this is complete bullshit. Basically means any big developer can buy his way onto a city council, then take over all the land he wants. Great move Supreme Court :rolleyes:

In other interests, the Supreme Court is issuing an inportant ruling on P2P file sharing programs this afternoon. Hopefully, they don't screw this one as well.
I'd like to think that if I ever do own land and my own home I'd be willing to protect it at all costs. This is bullshit....

theacoustician said:
Actually, yes, it does. This gives the states the right to seize personal property and reallocate to other private entities. If you don't see the problem there, I pity you.

in the end they are taking your property either way...imo I would be equally pissed whether it was for a highway or a mall

btw, this once again shows why supreme court justices should be voted on. lifetime membership from presidential appointment is fucking retarded

why_ask_why said:
in the end they are taking your property either way...imo I would be equally pissed whether it was for a highway or a mall

The point is that previously eminent domain was implemented by the local governments for the use of local governments. Now local governments can seize your home, your business, and basically your entire independent lifestyle and sell it to Bob, a land developer who wants to use it for his own purposes and build a mall and make lots of money. It is absolutely not the same thing.

It's about as un-American as it gets, honestly.

Sarcasmo said:
The point is that previously eminent domain was implemented by the local governments for the use of local governments. Now local governments can seize your home, your business, and basically your entire independent lifestyle and sell it to Bob, a land developer who wants to use it for his own purposes and build a mall and make lots of money. It is absolutely not the same thing.

It's about as un-American as it gets, honestly.

I agree, just cause Mr. Mall Builder has more money than me, why does that give him more entitlement to my home and land that I've worked hard to earn and take care of.

FlyNavy said:
btw, this once again shows why supreme court justices should be voted on. lifetime membership from presidential appointment is fucking retarded
politicizing the justice system would be pretty much the worst idea ever. gosh