Movie Star Wars 101

The difference is going to be arguably academic, and I'd like to see what type of testing they did to determine this.

This is the same apologetic nonsense as "standardized tests are bad because even though all children learn differently they are still beautiful and special geniuses"

Exactly. The teaching is what makes the difference.

I don't know about all that fluffy bunny bullshit, but I do believe standardize academics are not good for all. Some children need to learn differently than others. But then, how can you account for everyone? You can't. So they do whatever they can.

Exactly. The teaching is what makes the difference.

I don't know about all that fluffy bunny bullshit, but I do believe standardize academics are not good for all. Some children need to learn differently than others. But then, how can you account for everyone? You can't. So they do whatever they can.

And that is because some children aren't as gifted as others, they are hindered by their lowered ability to learn.

Last edited:
And that is because some children aren't as gifted as others, they are hindered by their lowered ability to learn.

Exactly. Hence why they need specialized teaching in order to bring their level of intelligence up to a point where they can pass.

You are all brought up to suppress violent behaviour. Just like you are all brought up to wear clothes, which is not natural.

I don't know that this is true either. I can remember conversations in my house that went like this:

Me: "Mommy, my sister hit me!"
Mom: "Well hit her back!"

Sibling rivalry. It happens. But I've never hit a classmate or a workmate or anything like that. I have no desire to walk down the street and hit anyone. I have no desire to hit anyone I know, even the people that have royally screwed me over. It's mean and it doesn't fix anything and I figured that out on my own very early in life. If movies or TV or video games really made us act in the ways we are observing, how come there isn't a legion of my kids that assume they can go out adventuring on their own with their monkey pal and fend off robbers simply by yelling "NO SWIPING!" Why aren't there thousands of kids who think that going out to some rural town and planting some crops and raising some chickens is the best life ever? Why is it only the bad behaviors we seem to think kids pick up?

Exactly. Hence why they need specialized teaching in order to bring their level of intelligence up to a point where they can pass.

I just think intelligence is your ability to learn. I have met lots of kids who are unable to comprehend something like calculus and no amount of patience or time is going to help them be able to grasp those concepts. I think there is a cap on what some people can understand. I think there is a cap on how quickly some people will grasp concepts too.

I don't know that this is true either. I can remember conversations in my house that went like this:

Me: "Mommy, my sister hit me!"
Mom: "Well hit her back!"

Sibling rivalry. It happens. But I've never hit a classmate or a workmate or anything like that. I have no desire to walk down the street and hit anyone. I have no desire to hit anyone I know, even the people that have royally screwed me over. It's mean and it doesn't fix anything and I figured that out on my own very early in life. If movies or TV or video games really made us act in the ways we are observing, how come there isn't a legion of my kids that assume they can go out adventuring on their own with their monkey pal and fend off robbers simply by yelling "NO SWIPING!" Why aren't there thousands of kids who think that going out to some rural town and planting some crops and raising some chickens is the best life ever? Why is it only the bad behaviors we seem to think kids pick up?

Just because you didn't feel the urge to be violent in your life time doesn't mean it's not within you. You may need something to bring it out of you that hasn't happened yet.

We only talk about the bad behaviour.

I just think intelligence is your ability to learn. I have met lots of kids who are unable to comprehend something like calculus and no amount of patience or time is going to help them be able to grasp those concepts. I think there is a cap on what some people can understand. I think there is a cap on how quickly some people will grasp concepts too.

Intelligence is the ability to learn, to reason, and to apply what you have learnt.

Given enough time, anyone can learn anything.

You, in this thread, at this very moment, are disproving your own argument stance.

I've already proved it with a citation. You lot that are still arguing are the ones who need to realize there is still hope for you all.

Just because you didn't feel the urge to be violent in your life time doesn't mean it's not within you. You may need something to bring it out of you that hasn't happened yet.

We only talk about the bad behaviour.

Intelligence is the ability to learn, to reason, and to apply what you have learnt.

Given enough time, anyone can learn anything.

I don't think either of these statements are true. Having a reason to be violent (like self defense) is not the same thing as being inherently violent. I don't think all people are inherently violent. I also can't find any conclusive evidence to support a theory that all people are inherently violent.

As for learning, there's lots of people that are not capable of learning some things. I'm pretty sure you are dead wrong there. Take a retarded person for example. Surely you could teach him/her all of the formulas and theorems necessary to do the work but they do not have the necessary thinking ability to apply what they have memorized. That requires much more abstract thought than he/she is capable of. People with some learning disabilities have similar issues. There's a difference in brain function and the way the brain assimilates information that sometimes can't be overcome by time or effort. I think a lot of people have varying degrees of abilities where this is concerned. I don't believe it is always a question of dedication to learning. At the same time, there are some people out there who just put stuff together faster than I do. Despite my best efforts I cannot compete mentally with them. In school I was always in "gifted" classes, but I was also aware that I was nowhere near the level of some of my peers in those classes. They were simply brighter than me and more capable of learning faster than I was. I certainly tried to keep up. I was a pretty dedicated student back in the day, but I had my limitations just as everyone does. If the brain is a like a muscle it would follow that some people win the genetic lottery on this one just like some people are genetically predisposed to having an easier time building muscle mass, or some people have better metabolisms than others, while some people have green eyes and some have brown. There's got to be an element of this that is simply nature.

Kiko update.
So he's watched it 2 times and shot at me for days straight, then we went outside for a bike ride, ice cream and kicked the soccer ball around and all was right in his little head again.

Hasn't even picked up the movie again!

I've already proved it with a citation. You lot that are still arguing are the ones who need to realize there is still hope for you all.

The one page article you posted that includes no actual evidence and ends with an adolescent "how to" proves absolutely nothing.

And what have any of you provided? Dildly squat! So you must be right! :D :waw:

Your argument stance is in the extreme minority here, it's up to you to prove your substantially less likely theory on the subject. I don't need to prove what is already held as common knowledge by the vast majority of people not only this forum, but everyone else on Earth.

Sure, I'll give it to you, you give a retard a book he'll probably get "smarter" (by a fractional measure which is first hard to gauge, and second largely unnoticeable), but no amount of Doctor Seuss is ever going to make him the intellectual equal of the kid next door to him who was fortunate enough to be born with a substantially better engine under the hood.