FYI Spotify Family Plan

I'm all for buying music directly from the artist. These days there is no reason for artists to need record labels or recording associations. They have the technology to create a union of sorts and create and advertise their music on their own terms. When they figure this out, I'll start buying music again.
there are plenty of DIY bands out there, and small labels that mostly serve to help with distro
not all record labels are juggernauts like EMI and such

it's possible to survive without a label, but being on one can definitely help

edit: and even with one, chances are you're gonna need a second job, anyway unless you're huge which is a relatively small number of bands/artists

Last edited:
I'm all for buying music directly from the artist. These days there is no reason for artists to need record labels or recording associations. They have the technology to create a union of sorts and create and advertise their music on their own terms. When they figure this out, I'll start buying music again.

how long have you been in the music industry?

there are plenty of DIY bands out there, and small labels that mostly serve to help with distro
not all record labels are juggernauts like EMI and such

it's possible to survive without a label, but being on one can definitely help

edit: and even with one, chances are you're gonna need a second job, anyway unless you're huge which is a relatively small number of bands/artists
Well I still need to be interested in the music to buy it. I'm not going to buy music simply because they are independent.

Well I still need to be interested in the music to buy it. I'm not going to buy music simply because they are independent.
I'm just saying, there's lots of great stuff out there, but because they (the fictional band or artist that is DIY and in a style you like) don't have a label to help promote them, you may never hear about them

I'm just saying, there's lots of great stuff out there, but because they (the fictional band or artist that is DIY and in a style you like) don't have a label to help promote them, you may never hear about them
I find plenty of independent artists, but many of them I don't like enough to buy their music.

Most of the artists I do like aren't independent.

Yes it is

626f9706f9f283dee1bca7fa60f5c6c8.jpg
55b1e6005cf4f014f73bd41063e2dbaa.jpg

0f619b1d695117f99d2e4b390e9240ef.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
I'm just curious how much experience you've had trying to sell your music that you're able to comment on how musicians sell their music
That's one hell of angle! So now no one can comment on anything they don't have experience with. So now your comments about why gay and transgenders embrace labels is null and void because you aren't a gay, nor a transgenders.

You're a modern day Einstein! Oh wait, I can't comment on that because I haven't been an Einstein myself.

:lol:

You have no business commenting on how musicians sell their music if you have no idea about the industry. I don't get to comment on how plot engineers his buildings. I don't get to comment on how mrs valve writes her scientific papers. I don't get to comment on how you write apps. I've done none of those things.

But you are pants on head fucking retarded if you think that has anything to do with understanding the concept of self identification. You know you can actually read about that stuff, right? Just because you don't have a piece of information in your head it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You can stop being such a stubborn fuck and learn something new instead of thinking your opinions have weight despite a complete lack of knowledge on a subject.

I've done my homework. What's your fucking excuse?

You have no business commenting on how musicians sell their music if you have no idea about the industry. I don't get to comment on how plot engineers his buildings. I don't get to comment on how mrs valve writes her scientific papers. I don't get to comment on how you write apps. I've done none of those things.

But you are pants on head fucking retarded if you think that has anything to do with understanding the concept of self identification. You know you can actually read about that stuff, right? Just because you don't have a piece of information in your head it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You can stop being such a stubborn fuck and learn something new instead of thinking your opinions have weight despite a complete lack of knowledge on a subject.

I've done my homework. What's your fucking excuse?
Yeah nice try. I can understand the music industry and why artists sign with record labels and why some don't without having g to be an artist trying to sell records myself. Either way, my original comment was about why I will or will not buy music from an artist. I want to only buy from artists that sell their music directly to the customer. I don't give two fucks why some artists do, and some artists don't.

oh it's cool for you to make whatever purchasing decisions you want

These days there is no reason for artists to need record labels or recording associations.

but you're objectively wrong. there are plenty of reasons for artists to need record labels and associations. you may not like those reasons but they are certainly there

oh it's cool for you to make whatever purchasing decisions you want

but you're objectively wrong. there are plenty of reasons for artists to need record labels and associations. you may not like those reasons but they are certainly there
I disagree with whatever reasons that exists for artists to go with labels. So stick that in your fucking pipe and smoke it.