FYI Spotify Family Plan

Instead of performing my work for 40 hours a week I should be able to just do one major building and live off the royalties forever. Anything less is stealing or something.

Like I've stated, the idea of records sales making a musician massively rich was only around for 30 or so years before the scam busted. And the real superstars probably wouldn't have noticed if they never got a dime from it because they were busy rolling in the cash from sold out stadiums.
Music is intellectual property, a building design is too.
If someone copied your build design it would be plagerism, and you would be entitled to damages and royalties.
If a musician is not entitled to a cut of their record sales, the agent (publisher, recording studio. Label) would have to cease to exist.
The artist would have to record the record, engineer the recording, market and sell.
After the million dollar investment. The artist would have to charge several million per song in order to reap the rewards of investment.
Chances are, you don't develop your designs. Someone pays you for them and hires a developer.
I know an architect who is also a developer.
It's an expensive business, but he reaps all the profits.
Oh and he plagerises himself constantly.
You sir, are either a tool for hating on artists, or a troll.

Well played troll if so.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Market and sell. That brings us back to spotify, YouTube, etc... labels used to pay radio stations to play certain artists to market and sell them. Now they essentially get paid for their marketing via YouTube and spotify (happy got 40 million plays, the guy didn't have to pay for that marketing but actually made 2 grand)... when did that get flipped? You know how much it would cost to buy that kind of advertising???

Market on the radio and sell tickets to the shows. That's the old business model, the middle business model was raping people for records, the new business model is going back to the old cause modern ways to distribute left CD sales dead in the water.

I'm just glad running a career in the music industry isn't as complex as raising a child.
How many people have learnt to raise a child without having one? There a few artists that have gotten big without signing to a label nor releasing a studio album.

Shit labels do:

- Handle manufacturing/distribution, marketing, licensing and 100 other mundane jobs so recording artists have free time to be recording artists.
- Arranging touring. Picking suitable venues, acquiring audio/lighting/staging/whatever gear, getting manpower together to set everything up and operate everything while the band performs, arranging transportation, legal/insurance/whatever shit, etc. Another 100 mundane jobs.
- Bankrolling touring, recording studio time, etc. Just try walking into a regular bank and asking for a loan for an album and tour, you'll get laughed out.

In theory an artist can do all this stuff themselves, but they'll have no free time, and they'll be limited by the size of the shows they can put off. You can be a hell of a lot more productive if you let other people handle that stuff for you.

And yes, I'm not a record label owner or a professional musician, so I'm fully unqualified to say all of this.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer