Spent

Last edited:
yeah. another ridiculous assumption that this game makes is that the jobs available were only in the city. bottom line remains that if you live in a city you don't need a car.

edit: or a pet

good for you?

bottom line remains is that there is no one answer for everyone..

bottom line remains is that there is no one answer for everyone..

completely agreed. hence why this game is a pretty stupid way of trying to make a point

granted it's mildly entertaining telling my kid to starve because he doesn't want to go through the free lunch line anymore but at least it's not as bad as my own suggestion that said kids should be wearing burlap sacks instead of fubu

still, the idea that the game won't let you forgo a car even if you live in a city - and the asinine notion that the only jobs available are in the city - is we todd did

I was a waiter in the game and they said I would be taking home something like $262 per/w. I actually have been a waiter and I made between double and triple that usually. Sometimes even more. I was also driving beater cars with no payment and only had liability insurance in addition to having no kids.

completely agreed. hence why this game is a pretty stupid way of trying to make a point

granted it's mildly entertaining telling my kid to starve because he doesn't want to go through the free lunch line anymore but at least it's not as bad as my own suggestion that said kids should be wearing burlap sacks instead of fubu

still, the idea that the game won't let you forgo a car even if you live in a city - and the asinine notion that the only jobs available are in the city - is we todd did

The point of this game is to make aware the troubles that Americans are going through. Of course it's not the same for everyone, but this game gives a good general idea of the hardships Americans are facing..

except I disagree. half the problems being faced in this game are the direct result of the hypothetical person's own stupid decisions. keeping a pet in an apartment where it's not allowed? stupid. speeding ticket? stupid.

you say there's no answer for everyone but by that same token you can't honestly say that these scenarios are anywhere near representative of a significant portion of the population, especially when many of the decision points are presented as the damn kobayashi maru

except I disagree. half the problems being faced in this game are the direct result of the hypothetical person's own stupid decisions. keeping a pet in an apartment where it's not allowed? stupid. speeding ticket? stupid.

you say there's no answer for everyone but by that same token you can't honestly say that these scenarios are anywhere near representative of a significant portion of the population, especially when many of the decision points are presented as the damn kobayashi maru

Then again, most of us here are more clever than the type of person who may very well live in these conditions. One thing I did notice is that the events the first time are unexpected, and going in opting for things early like insurance seems like a good decision but can quickly turn south. People living near the edge of poverty can't always recover.

You're picking out the bad ones. Yeah there are some stupid ones to you or me, but there are some interesting ones. How close you can live to work, medical insurance premiums, schooling, groceries, etc..

You and I might not be facing these problems because we are lucky to grow up in an environment where we had more options and support. Not everyone has these luxuries..

that sucks when renting because it's kind of a catch 22. you don't want to go overboard spending monies insulating the the hell out of someone else's place but you also don't want to get raped on crazy heating/cooling bills either. best to contact the owner and see if he'll deduct money you put into it especially if it benefits you both.

1. Took the waiter job & health insurance
  • I have a kid. Two people to worry about getting sick/injured and incurring more costs.
    The waiter job described it as "fast-paced" & "casual", which to me, was interpreted as "cheap" "busy", which in the end = more customers = tips = more money = paying more than the other two jobs.

2. Bought chicken, (2) eggs, bread, milk, peanut butter, spaghetti & sauce, toilet paper.

• Chicken was in bulk and I could be creative with that for dinners = less hunger & lasts longer.
  • Bread, could combine with eggs to make french toast, or make peanut butter sandwiches. Milk - more filling and nutritious than the orange juice and drank mix, otherwise, might as well drink water if you're going to get the mix or juice.
  • I had a feeling if I got any of the Ramen and crap food like that, myself and my kid would be hungry more often and go thru too much food, too quickly.

3. Took the couch dweller for $200/month.

4. Rent was $797 or something, living 30+ miles out from job.

5. Paid for kid's field trip, lunch money, (@3.00/day. Not sure why they didn't give you an option to make your own for the kid).
  • Had to see doc, $20 copay.
  • Pitched in to help sick coworker that had no sick days, which meant no pay for them. Karma's a bitch. If I don't help...what comes around goes around. Well...unless she was a huge cunt, then I wouldn't have pitched in, but they didn't say whether she was nice, or not.

6. Ignored car payment and had car repo'ed. :lol: Guess they don't fuck around after being one day late. :rolleyes: lolol

7. Helped neighbor move and missed kid's play = Earning $50.

8. Was fired because I had no car. I guess they don't allow for car pool options, only the train??

= $492 leftover
= WINNING

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
edit: gas bill is 100 bucks and electric is 125? what kind of place are these people living in? hell even when my roommate was living with me and we had twice the amount of electronics running including two servers, a decent sound system and big ass hdtv plus our individual gaming systems the power bill barely broke 50 bucks.
For our last 1200sq foot apartment, it was about $300 for both in the winter, and that was keeping the thermostat at 67-68 degrees.

And we didn't have nearly as much electronics as that...

that sucks when renting because it's kind of a catch 22. you don't want to go overboard spending monies insulating the the hell out of someone else's place but you also don't want to get raped on crazy heating/cooling bills either. best to contact the owner and see if he'll deduct money you put into it especially if it benefits you both.

We will rent this place until he decides to live in the real world and realize he's not gonna get $400k for this house ANYTIME soon.

= We don't give a shit either way, because we are happy to be under the radar in current times, PLUS we can do almost whatever we want to the place.
Next winter though, we will talk to him and perhaps convert to a heat pump. That's if I'm working, since we'll have no prob paying for that, if I am.

PS, I believe the insulation is OK, but it's this HUGE AZZ living room window that is the only one @single pane! It's terrible when windy.