NSFW SPAMALOT V. I Iz In Yur Target Stealin Yur Infos

Status
Not open for further replies.
this.

I get 1yr old technology for pennies, and keep it till it dies or my needs change & then get another one for pennies. Repeat.

Spend the difference between that and an MBP on hotels and alcohol.

edit: & I don't do any gaming. basic basic needs here. biz calulation crap & that's it besides surfing & email, & some photo editing.
Must get old having busted ass laptops all the time.

Now you're trying to justify your hyperbole? Please. I wouldn't buy a $3200 laptop (assuming she's still looking at the $400 HP). Mine was $2500.

Congratulations, you've failed to make a valid point.

My kids still use Core 2 Duos - they power both their desktop machine (E8600), and their laptop (P8600). They both still run current OSs (windows 7 and OS X Mavericks), and get along just fine with an SSD and plenty of memory.

You're the one who said it would last 8x as long. *shrug*

Lead free solder, tin whiskers, heat cycles in an unknown environment, the fact that it's a returned item to begin with...

rarely an issue in consumer good. But fuck tin whiskers in general, such a pain in the ass in hostile environs.

Lead free solder, tin whiskers, heat cycles in an unknown environment, the fact that it's a returned item to begin with...
I meant the age of the technology not used vs new.

Although 2 of those things are manufacturing defects.

I meant the age of the technology not used vs new.

none of those things are manufacturing defects.

lead free solder is almost universally regulated now, unfortunately
tin whiskers are in inevitability with lead free solder
and heat cycles simply are a part of product lifetime.

This one, i will call you on. Quit pretending to be an expert at everything. You have no idea what tin whiskers even are, despite having just googled it.

none of those things are manufacturing defects.

lead free solder is almost universally regulated now, unfortunately
and heat cycles simply are a part of product lifetime.

This one, i will call you on. Quit pretending to be an expert at everything. You have no idea what tin whiskers even are, despite having just googled it.
Im not pretending to be an expert on anything, you are reading things into my post.

The age of technology, i.e. mechanical defects that might not be present on newer things might be present on older things because improvements in design.

I said something similar about cars earlier today. Which everyone also had a hissy fit about I might add, about how GASKETS around electrical connectors on older cars are prone to water infiltration.

Im not pretending to be an expert on anything, you are reading things into my post.

The age of technology, i.e. mechanical defects that might not be present on newer things might be present on older things because improvements in design.

I said something similar about cars earlier today. Which everyone also had a hissy fit about I might add, about how GASKETS around electrical connectors on older cars are prone to water infiltration.

No, you're not talking about one specific thing. You were talking about two specific things.

in reference to this list of three things

Just say you're wrong, and if you want to know more about the topic, ask.

I've also got 2x the processor cores, 10x the disk speed, 4x the memory, and a high density display. Who got the shitty deal, exactly?

No one. You both got exactly what you wanted and paid for. However you stated you really don't do anything intensive with yours so you paid for a hand grenade to kill an ant.

I've also got 2x the processor cores, 10x the disk speed, 4x the memory, and a high density display. Who got the shitty deal, exactly?

the thing is, if what you are doing only goes 10MPH, that it can go in a 100mph machine doesn't really matter.

Right?

Sure, you've got speed and power, but if you're not hardcore processing, it's like buying a busfull of seats when it's just you and your wife traveling around.

/my.02

No, you're not talking about one specific thing. You were talking about two specific things.

in reference to this list of three things

Just say you're wrong, and if you want to know more about the topic, ask.
I thought two of those things were manufacturing defects. To be very specific, problems that do exist, or have the possibility of existing, or may never exist, whether you purchased the item in question new, used, refurbished, in a plane, on a train, etc. Because it is an issue that exists with the way they are manufactured.

Which you confirm here:

If something is "inevitable" (your words) as a direct result of the method of manufacture, or manufacturing design decisions, it would seem to be a manufacturing defect.

I don't have an opinion on the matter of course, this is all things you've said.

Last edited:
I thought two of those things were manufacturing defects. To be very specific, problems that do exist, or have the possibility of existing, or may never exist, whether you purchased the item in question new, used, refurbished, in a plane, on a train, etc. Because it is an issue that exists with the way they are manufactured.

Which you confirm here:

If something is "inevitable" (your words) as a direct result of the method of manufacture, or manufacturing design decisions, it would seem to be a manufacturing defect.

I don't have an opinion on the matter of course, this is all things you've said.

ok. Thinking something is a manufacturing defect is different. Thats ok. Tin whiskers at least sounds like it.

Tin whiskers grow really really slowly in ideal conditions which is most operating environments, but eventually they will grow in all but the most ideal of environs. The problem occurs when you get a tin whisker that bridges one solder joint, or trace to another, in a way thats detrimental to the device, and that tin whisker is of enough substance that it has enough conductivity to cause problems.

In layman's terms, think of tin whiskers as tree root like structures, that grow because of high-strain gradients within the solder, almost like a slow motion extrusion from a balloon with a hole in it filled with pudding.

ok. Thinking something is a manufacturing defect is different. Thats ok. Tin whiskers at least sounds like it.

Tin whiskers grow really really slowly in ideal conditions which is most operating environments, but eventually they will grow in all but the most ideal of environs. The problem occurs when you get a tin whisker that bridges one solder joint, or trace to another, in a way thats detrimental to the device, and that tin whisker is of enough substance that it has enough conductivity to cause problems.

In layman's terms, think of tin whiskers as tree root like structures, that grow because of high-strain gradients within the solder, almost like a slow motion extrusion from a balloon with a hole in it filled with pudding.
And aren't most high volume ICs (at least supposed to be) coated with polyurethane/acrylic something that helps with these ( can see it being a problem on super tight boards but your average laptop isn't exactly a study in high reliability miniaturization).

Status
Not open for further replies.