Sometimes I think I'm retarded.... (cause I married FatBurger)

Drool-Boy said:
I dont have one in my home because its an open door for telemarketers to call you non-stop. The last land-line I had, at least 50% of the time it rang it was a goddamned telemarketer trying to sell me some fucking thing. Its illegal for them to call you on a cell phone. I dont miss having a land line one bit.
My provider blocks all telemarketer calls for free. Ontop of that, it's an ex-directory number, so I rarely get wrong numbers either.

I can see why you'd hate it though, I've had my fair share of indo bastards trying to sell bank accounts in the past.

Drool-Boy said:
I dont have one in my home because its an open door for telemarketers to call you non-stop. The last land-line I had, at least 50% of the time it rang it was a goddamned telemarketer trying to sell me some fucking thing. Its illegal for them to call you on a cell phone. I dont miss having a land line one bit.

there is a national 'do not call' list. It works.

FYI, there is now a national call list of cell phone numbers for telemarketers. The list became active on September 26, 2005, you have to take yourself off:

Call this number from your cell phone 1-888-382-1222

This is the number for the national DO NOT CALL list. It just takes a minute and it keeps your cell phone number off for 5 yrs.

Bubbles said:
FYI, there is now a national call list of cell phone numbers for telemarketers. The list became active on September 26, 2005, you have to take yourself off:

Call this number from your cell phone 1-888-382-1222

This is the number for the national DO NOT CALL list. It just takes a minute and it keeps your cell phone number off for 5 yrs.
Most of us did that online at https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx a few years ago when it first went live. It doesn't work in all cases. If they have a "prior business relationship" or its a "charity/non-prof" they can still call you.