So what the hell is up with Google today?

taeric said:
While I can understand what you are saying... I just get the impression that most of the 40+ people that have a hard time finding jobs now are having trouble because they were expecting the job they had to last forever. Had they instead made sure to constantly improve themselves, they would have been in a better position. No guarantees, of course. And, I'll confess I have no stats to back up any of this. :)
Finding a new job when over 40 is hard because you're over 40. You could have spent the last 20 years improving yourself (that's probably how you kept your job for 20 years) and be a wonderful employee, but chances are there's a 30 year old out there just as skilled as you and he lands the job because he has a 20 year out look and you have a 10 year one

Of course being a Vice President of blah blah blah is easily transferable to another company, I'm talking about the average 40 year old worker

oh btw taeric, I enjoy your positive point of view on all subjects, keep up the good work

elpmis said:
Finding a new job when over 40 is hard because you're over 40. You could have spent the last 20 years improving yourself (that's probably how you kept your job for 20 years) and be a wonderful employee, but chances are there's a 30 year old out there just as skilled as you and he lands the job because he has a 20 year out look and you have a 10 year one

I am well aware of that. Both of my parents went through massive pains in landing jobs. They are still nowhere near where they were. Nor will they ever be. My mother because life dealt some crappy cards, my father because he burned too many bridges.

elpmis said:
Of course being a Vice President of blah blah blah is easily transferable to another company, I'm talking about the average 40 year old worker

Actually, the VP positions can be rather damning. Trying to get just a director position later is much harder. Selling yourself down is one of the main problems facing many looking for a job.

elpmis said:
oh btw taeric, I enjoy your positive point of view on all subjects, keep up the good work

A dig? I'm not trying to be negative. Just trying to understand. Maybe I should try to land a job with a big company. Stat. :)

taeric said:
Actually, the VP positions can be rather damning. Trying to get just a director position later is much harder. Selling yourself down is one of the main problems facing many looking for a job.
Keep in mind that if you are a VP of something within a company you have a vast array of contacts, shit that's probably what wound you up in those shoes in the first place, and those contacts are gonna score you work somewhere else if you need it - so I wouldn't say a VP position is damning, well that's not entirely true, if your company is bought out or merges with another place you'll probably be packing up your shit and getting the boot. Not because you suck, but because they can't have two Vice Presidents of Finance, or whatever.

taeric said:
A dig? I'm not trying to be negative. Just trying to understand. Maybe I should try to land a job with a big company. Stat.
no I was being serious

elpmis said:
Keep in mind that if you are a VP of something within a company you have a vast array of contacts, shit that's probably what wound you up in those shoes in the first place, and those contacts are gonna score you work somewhere else if you need it - so I wouldn't say a VP position is damning, well that's not entirely true, if your company is bought out or merges with another place you'll probably be packing up your shit and getting the boot. Not because you suck, but because they can't have two Vice Presidents of Finance, or whatever.

Too true. I guess I am just getting slightly jaded by the .com crap that is happening all over again. Seems VP positions are damned near a dime a dozen.

theacoustician said:
Why is this the only thread people are posting in?

Cause none of the others are interesting to me?

Seriously, though. I'm not part of the sekret santa stuff. I don't have anything to whine about. I'm not in a Christmas spirit. And I have nothing further to add to bubble's not wanting to wash her clothes.

I did post good news for BlackBerry owners. Nobody seemed to care. :)

I could post a link to a video game about giant women attacking. Has a nice quote about having a jet with "target breast acquisitioning." Fun stuff.

taeric said:
I did post good news for BlackBerry owners. Nobody seemed to care. :)

I could post a link to a video game about giant women attacking. Has a nice quote about having a jet with "target breast acquisitioning." Fun stuff.
HELL YES! POST THAT SHIT, SON!

taeric said:
Here ya go. :) Follow the first link in the blog to see the breast target being acquisitioned. :)
Apparently its been out for a while. I actually found a torrent for the game. I might do that since it isn't for sale in the US.