So what the hell is up with Google today?

theacoustician said:
Thanks, asshole.

Dude, you are more than capable of landing on your feet. That and the company isn't going to be sinking anytime soon. (If ever) :)

Are people really that concerned with the long long term stability of their companies nowdays? I guess I fall into the fight club style philosophy now, "on a long enough time line, the survival rate for everything drops to 0." (Probably doesn't hurt that I've worked for a few startups. Or that my father used to be in textile production. Remember the whole "Buy USA" bullshit in the early nineties? Yeah, that was crap.)

I'm not going to wish that anyone's job here goes away, but I'm also not going to care too much if the company you are currently working for has problems changing and goes away. It might be a little annoying for you to get a new job, but it is far better than having an aging company that is forcing things that aren't necessarily good. Am I the only one to feel this way?

taeric said:
Are people really that concerned with the long long term stability of their companies nowdays? I guess I fall into the fight club style philosophy now, "on a long enough time line, the survival rate for everything drops to 0." (Probably doesn't hurt that I've worked for a few startups. Or that my father used to be in textile production. Remember the whole "Buy USA" bullshit in the early nineties? Yeah, that was crap.)

I'm not going to wish that anyone's job here goes away, but I'm also not going to care too much if the company you are currently working for has problems changing and goes away. It might be a little annoying for you to get a new job, but it is far better than having an aging company that is forcing things that aren't necessarily good. Am I the only one to feel this way?
i used to switch jobs like some people(drool ) change underwear.

till I started to like staying in one place and having a steady paycheck.

taeric said:

I'm not too worried about the stability of my company at 24 years of age, seeing as how I could probably get another job rather quickly, but if I was 40+ years old and wasn't planning on retiring for another 10 years I would flip the fuck out at even the thought of my company going belly up, ya

elpmis said:
I'm not too worried about the stability of my company at 24 years of age, seeing as how I could probably get another job rather quickly, but if I was 40+ years old and wasn't planning on retiring for another 10 years I would flip the fuck out at even the thought of my company going belly up, ya

I can see being freaked if it were to happen overnight. But the fact would remain either you were prepared or not. The company's health should have very little bearing on your retirement plans. And this is coming from one of the worst prepared for retirement in the world (Me). Enron should have taught this to everyone.

Seems to me that so long as you are always doing your best to further your own skills and such, there is no reason to worry if your company will be around.

taeric said:
Are people really that concerned with the long long term stability of their companies nowdays?

In the aerospace industry we are. Govt funding is a fickle thing. One day theyre funding the hell out of everything, the next no one has any money and theyre laying off people left and right. I see jobs and projects being pared down every day right now, and I bet in a year this place will be stuffed full of work again.
Its a vicious cycle.

Drool-Boy said:
In the aerospace industry we are. Govt funding is a fickle thing. One day theyre funding the hell out of everything, the next no one has any money and theyre laying off people left and right. I see jobs and projects being pared down every day right now, and I bet in a year this place will be stuffed full of work again.
Its a vicious cycle.

I'm confused, this would tend to make me care even less about the long term stability of the company and focus almost solely on my own stability. Right? (Clearly not... So I guess I'm really asking "why is that wrong?")

taeric said:
I can see being freaked if it were to happen overnight. But the fact would remain either you were prepared or not. The company's health should have very little bearing on your retirement plans. And this is coming from one of the worst prepared for retirement in the world (Me). Enron should have taught this to everyone.

Seems to me that so long as you are always doing your best to further your own skills and such, there is no reason to worry if your company will be around.
I think you missed my point

I'm saying it would be hard to find a new job at age 40ish, and it is

taeric said:
I'm confused, this would tend to make me care even less about the long term stability of the company and focus almost solely on my own stability. Right? (Clearly not... So I guess I'm really asking "why is that wrong?")

You confuse me, sir.

elpmis said:
I think you missed my point

I'm saying it would be hard to find a new job at age 40ish, and it is

While I can understand what you are saying... I just get the impression that most of the 40+ people that have a hard time finding jobs now are having trouble because they were expecting the job they had to last forever. Had they instead made sure to constantly improve themselves, they would have been in a better position. No guarantees, of course. And, I'll confess I have no stats to back up any of this. :)

Drool-Boy said:
You confuse me, sir.

Well, having found myself in an industry that has constantly fluctuating funding, I have focused more on my worth than I have on my companies. It is rather amusing to see stock offerings on job offers, because I know that most of them will be worthless. Odds are, my current company will go under just like my last was headed. I have reasonable faith in them, but statistically speaking, we're fucked. So.... I guess it is just that I have never really worked for a company where I knew I could hold on to the job for as long as I wanted.