So I got a puppy (obligatory pics)

She doesn't need an outdoor kennel, she stays inside with us. I'm actually looking into houses with bigger gardens right now though because I've been here almost 2 years and it's time to move again, I don't want to still be here for another winter.

She doesn't need an outdoor kennel, she stays inside with us. I'm actually looking into houses with bigger gardens right now though because I've been here almost 2 years and it's time to move again, I don't want to still be here for another winter.

Just get a caravan then you can move whenever you want.

So we had our first morning walk ever this morning (damn I'm tired after a 6.30 start). She's stronger than I thought and I need to get on the leash training pronto before she puts on more lbs and starts dragging me around. I planned to only take her out for 20 mins because I didn't want to over exercise her but it took 30+ mins to go down the street and back for some reason I can't fathom because she wasn't all that interested in sniffing around or anything, weird.

DJB - Do you guys have a spare lead to lend me til next week at all? I've got one but it hurt my hands :( :(

So we had our first morning walk ever this morning (damn I'm tired after a 6.30 start). She's stronger than I thought and I need to get on the leash training pronto before she puts on more lbs and starts dragging me around. I planned to only take her out for 20 mins because I didn't want to over exercise her but it took 30+ mins to go down the street and back for some reason I can't fathom because she wasn't all that interested in sniffing around or anything, weird.

DJB - Do you guys have a spare lead to lend me til next week at all? I've got one but it hurt my hands :( :(
You didn't want to over exercise HER or YOU? Really now? Dogs would go for hours if we'd let them.

Yeah you cant really over exercise dogs, they pretty much sleep when you arent around.

You didn't want to over exercise HER or YOU? Really now? Dogs would go for hours if we'd let them.

Uh you shouldn't over exercise pups because regardless of whether they WANT to exercise more their bones are not properly formed and if you let them bound about/jump/exercise too much then it causes them bone deformations later in life. The general rule is walks should be 5 minutes per how many months old they are, so 30 mins for her was a bit excessive, although she didn't do much walking really in that time so I think it's fine.

Kthx.

Last edited:
Uh you shouldn't over exercise pups because regardless of whether they WANT to exercise more their bones are not properly formed and if you let them bound about/jump/exercise too much then it causes them bone deformations later in life. The general rule is walks should be 5 minutes per how many months old they are, so 30 mins for her was a bit excessive, although she didn't do much walking really in that time so I think it's fine.

Kthx.

I thought the bone deformation thing was only for inbred pure breeds that have known joint issues. Otherwise the rule is just a sort of guideline to make sure you aren't exhausting your dog which should be obvious anyway.

Kthx.
Yeah, walking a dog is not letting them jump off stuff or get knocked down by other dogs. Slippery floors and stairs are usually not good, but most of the time they won't even go near that stuff unless it's an exceptionally stupid dog. Other than that let a puppy be a puppy, I thought he was like over 9 mos anyway.

I thought the bone deformation thing was only for inbred pure breeds that have known joint issues. Otherwise the rule is just a sort of guideline to make sure you aren't exhausting your dog which should be obvious anyway.

Not that I'm aware of,, and it's apparently especially pertinent in dogs that will be big as their bones have a lot of growing to do.

edit: Also she's half american bulldog and their biggest health problem is hip dysplasia so I'd rather try and prevent that as much as I can so she doesn't suffer in old age.

Last edited:
Carys, you're really over thinking this...

Wild dogs don't stop their puppies from walking too much and they turnout just fine.

Except she's not a wild dog, is she? She's a domestic breed. And after living with a german shepherd who had hip dysplasia I'd rather reduce my chances of Kes ever getting it. It was pretty heart breaking to see a dog unable to stand or take itself out for toilet breaks.