Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

If I have an easy cold beverage it seems to take precedence over all others. I have a dozen sodastream bottles I cycle through like a basic bitch. I'll forget about alcohol for a month or two and then it's game on for a few weeks until I get bored with it.

When are you guys moving? Seems like you've got a bunch of renovating still in process?
Do your teeth get sensitive with all the carbonation?

I love seltzers, alcohol or not.

A friend of mine was getting the air trapped in her belly and she thought something bad was happening like cancer, the doctor told her to stop drinking so much seltzer. lol

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Woohoo beer finished in time. US-05 yeast is a fucking beast. Just added 1 pound of cheese cake powder to 5 gallons of beer. This is going to be interesting. The other 5 gallons gets a tiramisu treatment. And the seltzer is done too. Yay.

1687443306098.png

Do your teeth get sensitive with all the carbonation?

I love seltzers, alcohol or not.

A friend of mine was getting the air trapped in her belly and she thought something bad was happening like cancer, the doctor told her to stop drinking so much seltzer. lol
Nope, never had an issue there. I can even bite into an ice cream cone like an animal.

Seems like your friend needs to learn how to burp :haaay:

For fermentation I've been getting more into breads and stuff. I've been tempted to make some plates and try to capture wild yeasts to culture for my own sourdough.

Nope, never had an issue there. I can even bite into an ice cream cone like an animal.

Seems like your friend needs to learn how to burp :haaay:

For fermentation I've been getting more into breads and stuff. I've been tempted to make some plates and try to capture wild yeasts to culture for my own sourdough.
You don't even need to do that for sourdough. There's already a fuckton of wild yeast sitting in your flour right now. @APRIL started ours like 4-5 years ago on nothing but flour and water. Yeast are fucking everywhere; you're covered in them right now.

You don't even need to do that for sourdough. There's already a fuckton of wild yeast sitting in your flour right now. @APRIL started ours like 4-5 years ago on nothing but flour and water. Yeast are fucking everywhere; you're covered in them right now.
I'll have to give it a shot then, is it literally just adding flour and water in a bowl and letting it sit? learn me on this

I'm an ATK whore, so this is what I did.

Thanks! The explanations they do are the best but over time I've found I prefer a bunch of other recipes to theirs. They give you something that will work every time but isn't always amazing in the flavor department. It's a good base for improvement, a bunch of my go-to's started out life as ATK recipes.

I grabbed their "quick family cookbook" at a used bookstore and was supremely disappointed. I was expecting similar results to the older books I have from them and everything I've made in this has been bland and uninteresting. Sure, it's on the table in 30 mins but at what cost?

I have access to their online recipes and anything that's like >4.5 rating and >20 comments is usually killer. Some of them are just okay though for sure.

Finally getting around to actually brewing a seltzer, instead of carbonating and flavoring a water/vodka mix.

It's interesting, because to get it as clear as possible you have to feed the yeast straight sugar and nothing else. That's so unhealthy for the them, that I have to add yeast nutrients *every day* or they'll basically just die. So essentially, I'm feeding the yeast the average American diet.

Finally getting around to actually brewing a seltzer, instead of carbonating and flavoring a water/vodka mix.

It's interesting, because to get it as clear as possible you have to feed the yeast straight sugar and nothing else. That's so unhealthy for the them, that I have to add yeast nutrients *every day* or they'll basically just die. So essentially, I'm feeding the yeast the average American diet.

What yeast do you use?

What yeast do you use?
It doesn't need anything fancy so US05. I really should have double pitched, but oh well. Next time.

If you're interested, I used a 50/50 mix of table sugar and corn sugar. It's coming along well. Once its done, I plan to clarify it with gelatin then flavor with something silly and douchy.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
It doesn't need anything fancy so US05. I really should have double pitched, but oh well. Next time.

If you're interested, I used a 50/50 mix of table sugar and corn sugar. It's coming along well. Once its done, I plan to clarify it with gelatin then flavor with something silly and douchy.

A few of the farm breweries around here do brewed seltzers for the non beer drinking crowd. They're popular. Can't say I've tried one.