Small Victories

owning a house is continual maintence... lots of people dont get that.

the other thing about owning a house, is everything in it, plumbing, electricity, shingling, etc. is all very basic stuff that's been around for 100+ years, so it can all be done properly yourself if you're willing to do a little bit of research/reading beforehand.

In some communties it's illegal to do a lot of plumbing/electrical work yourself. :rolleyes:

Yeah, back when I turned 16, my parents had an old 68 mustang that was left in a backyard to rot. They gave it to me, broken and all. Had to replace the headers, the exhaust, and the entire tranny including the bell housing. Took a long time because I knew nothing about cars. It was a great learning experience. But cars from the 60's were notoriously easier to work on than cars today. Best I can manage now is the standard maintenance stuff.

I applaud anyone that can get into a modern vehicle and fix them, or who even has the balls to give it a try.

Electricity is easy, that's another scam that has been foisted on the public.

Not for me it isn't-those wires all look the same to me, and after an experience helping a 'friend'-using the term loosely because I suspect he was out to kill me...I've become downright paranoid. :eek:

I have some amazing pictures of home improvements. Some city inspectors post them on their websites under headings like "LOL WTF".

inspection-nightmares-07-1.jpg

inspection-nightmares-02.jpg

inspection-nightmares-07.jpg

inspection-nightmares-06.jpg

Here's the text from this one:

"Not only did the homeowners install the water heater on its side, but they replaced the tank pressure relief valve (which allows the heater to let off steam) with a large pressure gauge. So now you can just watch the pressure build."

The trick to car (And bike, though you can get away with less) repair, is REALLY good tools. Everytime I've tried to work on a car the bolts are all too siezed to ever get off with hand tools, and usually not in a place where a cheater bar would work.
i discovered why they invented the breaker-bar when working on my truck. i never understood the need until i fucked up my ratchet getting a stubborn bolt loose.