Small Victories

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,352
So, a few days back, my kitchen plumbing started to fail. I found this out when I did dishes. The backflow from my dishwasher decided to fill up my sink, and grace my floor with some gross crap. My garbage disposal failed, and the main drain line from my primary sink to the shared plumbing with my secondary sink clogged. Even draino couldn't clear it.

So, tonight, armed with a channel lock, various pliers, plumbers tape, screw drivers, and such, I went to battle, not having a remote clue as to what I was doing save some experience back from college of doing sprinklers and irrigation for a public park system in CO.

Aggrivation, hatred, and furious anger ensued. Well, aggrivation, mostly.

Took it all apart, even the garbage disposal. Cleaned all the mechanics, replaced the clogged pvc, put it all back together.

The sound of my now running disposal and free flowing water through the drain was the musk of victory!!!

Being pretty much a perpetual renter, I always had the luxury of someone else fixing it. However, my leasing company sucks and no one still had come by, and I have dishes that needed doing!

Small victory, for sure, but my god, so sweet.

Lame shit thread. Lock and ban, or just share stories of small victories that still felt so damn good.

Last edited:
Channel locks and fury have, for nearly a decade, been my primary plumbing tools.

I would humbly advise you, however, to add a bigass roll of thread tape to your arsenal. You can, in a pinch, cut a grocery bag into strips, but you can't fuck with the real deal.

Channel locks and fury have, for nearly a decade, been my primary plumbing tools.

I would humbly advise you, however, to add a bigass roll of thread tape to your arsenal. You can, in a pinch, cut a grocery bag into strips, but you can't fuck with the real deal.

Yup, I have and did use Plumbers Tape (or thread tape). That stuff is so simple, yet does so much!

want me to write you a receipt for $300 so you can turn it into your landlord?

I wish, but my lease doesn't allow for charge backs :( They have a maintenance crew, which I suspect is really just a cover to avoid leasee maintenance issues like this.

celebrate

[ame="http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1902236"]Excessive Ping Pong Celebration - CollegeHumor video[/ame]

I fixed the fence in my backyard. Again. It's comprised of big board fence panels badly tacked to posts, so every time we get a wind storm a different panel decides it's time to fall down. I've had the landlord fix it before, but the guy does a terrible job, so now whenever one comes down I just go out, remove the nails (or more often than not, nail) that are supposed to hold it but are too small and few, then screw the panel in place with 6 big long deck screws.

It's this kind of shit that makes me want to buy a place. I have to work on the place wherever I live, I might as well get the benefit from fixing it up.

owning a house is continual maintence... lots of people dont get that.

the other thing about owning a house, is everything in it, plumbing, electricity, shingling, etc. is all very basic stuff that's been around for 100+ years, so it can all be done properly yourself if you're willing to do a little bit of research/reading beforehand.

owning a house is continual maintence... lots of people dont get that.

the other thing about owning a house, is everything in it, plumbing, electricity, shingling, etc. is all very basic stuff that's been around for 100+ years, so it can all be done properly yourself if you're willing to do a little bit of research/reading beforehand.

LIES AND SLANDER

You need to call me, to come and do that shit for you and charge an hourly rate :cool: Seriously though, ughhhhhh. You can unplug shit and fix holes. Everything else; for the love of god dont touch it. Especially anything that can catch on fire (hvac and electrics).

I just reinsultaed the house by crawling through every access panel and loose vent and sealing them with either thermoguard plastic or magnetic covers. house feels much warmer.