Bobiverse
Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
Kings of the Wyld
Riftwar Cycle
Allister Reynolds - revelation space
Chronicles of the Black company - Glen Cook
Red Rising - Pierce Brown

My list "to read" books.

Read the Stormlight Archives. It's very good.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Critical Hit
Drifters Alliance
David Eddings
Bobiverse
Kings of the Wyld
Riftwar Cycle

My list "to read" books.

You should hang with @Frau Blugher - he's into Pynchon.

Thinking about wasting my life away on the G.R.R.M bibliography.

I tried game of thrones for a few pages and hated it, but I might just need to soak in it for a bit until I get used to the writing style.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and nukes
Thinking about wasting my life away on the G.R.R.M bibliography.

I tried game of thrones for a few pages and hated it, but I might just need to soak in it for a bit until I get used to the writing style.
Got through 1.5 books. Pacing sucks, all the characters (that live) are shithooks, there effectively is no magic (why is it fantasy, again?)

I like world building. I have, and have read every Neal Stephenson book. GRRM sucks at it

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Finished a book called "The Dry" I thought it was going to be better. It sucked.

• Gravy
Critical Hit
Drifters Alliance
David Eddings
Bobiverse
Kings of the Wyld
Riftwar Cycle

My list "to read" books.

The David Eddings books focused on Belgarion and The Orb aren't bad. The rest of them are kinda... eh. They get kind of derivative.
Reread them recently, I never noticed when I was younger, but there is a lot of emotion on the pages. Moreso than most books. Gives them a good rich feeling

got into a zora neale hurston kick last week and read their eyes were watching god again before stepping into barracoon. incredible pairing.

barracoon is something else. written in 1927 and never picked up by a publisher, so it sat there unused for 80 years. finally published just a few months ago. compelling tales from the last remaining survivor of the transatlantic slave trade, cudjo lewis.

think I'm gonna start the power of myth by joseph campbell now. building a base on the history of religion and myth to eventually work my way through a reading list around slavery and black history. topic I always wished I understood more of the complexities behind.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Jehannum
got into a zora neale hurston kick last week and read their eyes were watching god again before stepping into barracoon. incredible pairing.

barracoon is something else. written in 1927 and never picked up by a publisher, so it sat there unused for 80 years. finally published just a few months ago. compelling tales from the last remaining survivor of the transatlantic slave trade, cudjo lewis.

think I'm gonna start the power of myth by joseph campbell now. building a base on the history of religion and myth to eventually work my way through a reading list around slavery and black history. topic I always wished I understood more of the complexities behind.
I haven't read TEWWG in a long time, but I enjoyed it when I did. Gonna have to pick up Barracoon and see what's what. Thanks!

No, but I was thinking about delving into The Expanse, since well likely never see its finale on tv

2 things.

I read the series. Once they make it through the portal, it get's a little weird, but then it gets back on track, kind of. But it becomes a case study of how a species can self destruct for petty reasons.

BTW, you did hear that The Expanse was picked up by Amazon and will be doing the following seasons on Prime?

The sequel to The Collasping Empire (called The Consuming Fire) comes out this month. Really excited to read it, great book. Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually becomes a movie series.

• Gravy
I picked up the first book in the Prince of Nothing series again. I read the trilogy shortly after they came out, probably 10-12 years ago. I didn't like the books because the main character isn't a hero, he's a bit of a dick (not an anti-hero, and not a Joffrey Baratheon, maybe Chaotic Neutral is the best way to explain it)

Rereading them to see if there is a change. The third book built up to some epic shit, but I was so put off that I didn't realize there were more books after the Prince of Nothing series (I think its a trilogy of trilogies)

• Gravy
I haven't read TEWWG in a long time, but I enjoyed it when I did. Gonna have to pick up Barracoon and see what's what. Thanks!

it's funny, I read TEWWG years ago and then again just before I started barracoon, and halfway through barracoon I started to notice many parallels. realized that it was written 10 years earlier, just never published, and that's likely where a lot of the themes for TEWWG came from. lots of little things from cudjo lewis's story that you can tell influenced plot decisions and characters in the novel.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Jehannum
Alan Moore has a new book out, Jerusalem.

Anyone looked into it? The back cover doesn't explain anything about the book (understandable as it looks to be in excess of 1000 pages)

• Gravy