Schooling

the school district i go to is in that documentary FlyNavy posted. The part where they talk about inspectors who go in to make sure a student really lives where they say they live, that's happened to many of my friends in high school. Especially the ones whose parents are divorced and live separately.

It's pretty crazy what people will do to get into a certain school.

I think certain apartment complexes actually pay money to be in a certain district, because I know I was 5 minutes away from a crappy high school, yet I attended a good high school that was 30 minutes away.

It is funny how you can blame blame blame the parents for not getting "more involved" and "TEACHING" there kids to read. THEY SHOULDNT HAVE TO!

Hey dude who taught you how to hold a book? I'm betting it was your mom or dad, am I right? You should have already learned a whole bunch from your parents and family before you even hit a classroom.
If you hit kindergarten and you don't know what letters are or how to hold a book in the correct manner or even be able to identify colors, your parents have failed to do their jobs.

Hey dude who taught you how to hold a book? I'm betting it was your mom or dad, am I right? You should have already learned a whole bunch from your parents and family before you even hit a classroom.
If you hit kindergarten and you don't know what letters are or how to hold a book in the correct manner or even be able to identify colors, your parents have failed to do their jobs.

My parents actually taught me how to read when I was 4 years old, long before I started going to school. When I went to first grade, it was in a different country and I was learning my second language along with the kids who were just starting to read in school. Then, in 6th grade, I quickly caught up to everyone studying English, even though it was my third language.

I'm endlessly grateful that my parents taught me how to read so early on and I never struggled with it. Kids have an ability to read by age 4, and they should!

I think it's a shame if parents wait for schools to teach their kids how to read and write and never take an active role in doing it themselves before the kids ever go to school.

Last edited:
It is funny how you can blame blame blame the parents for not getting "more involved" and "TEACHING" there kids to read. THEY SHOULDNT HAVE TO!
Uh, yes they should. Parents should most certainly take an active role in the education of their children. If they don't then they have no place to bitch about it.
just because my parents didnt write a check to the public school I went to sure as hell doenst mean that they didnt pay them. Everyone in this country pays these teachers to teach, dont put the blame on the parents. Teachers should get students involved, TEACHER'S should make sure kids are in school, Teachers should make sure they are learning, that is what they are paid(poorly) for.

Yes the teachers need part of the blame. Many of them are getting paid poorly because they don't deserve to get paid jack shit let alone have a higher salary. Maybe a little personal responsibility on everyone's part, from the teachers to the parents to the administrators, would help things out.

Ever occur to you that some kids are just stupid?

that too. like I said before, this country is so pussified and filled with liberal tree hugging hippies that people see self confidence as more important than education. kids need to learn that they are not equal. some kids are smarter, some kids are better athletes, some kids are prettier. those are the realities of life and trying to shelter them from that does more harm than good

According to you ALL public school kids are stupid :fly:
It's more of a surprise to find a smart public school student than it is to find a stupid one. It isnt really surprising though, contrary to what they teach you in public school, everyone is not special and everyone cannot be above average.

There are stupid people in private school as well. The only difference is the teachers told them they were stupid. We had ranked classes for each subject. Never had to be taught alongside morons.

that too. like I said before, this country is so pussified and filled with liberal tree hugging hippies that people see self confidence as more important than education. kids need to learn that they are not equal. some kids are smarter, some kids are better athletes, some kids are prettier. those are the realities of life and trying to shelter them from that does more harm than good

I remember some school district passed a rule a while back saying that teachers can't tell kids their answer is wrong - because it would hurt their self esteem.

So a kid could say that 4+1 = 7 and the teacher couldn't tell them it's wrong. WTF.

Ok, you would be correct if that were the type of program they were presenting here in Florida a few years back. It was a straight out voucher to pay for private schools, not a variation of school choice as you've described. Correct me if I'm wrong but my quick googling leads me to believe that it's a straight "check for private school" kinda thing.
From CNN: "If students score so low that the school they attend is rated "F" twice in four years, then the parents of those students can use taxpayer money -- up to about $3,400 a year -- to send their children to private schools."
Now, on that note, what you describe is a very intriguing program, but it certainly is not what we here in Florida would describe as a "voucher program."

Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous system right there. I think the point is that parents sending their children to private school should not have to pay the taxes used for public schools but then again I don't believe people without children should have to pay either. My education was already paid for by my parents. There is no reason I should be paying for someone else's unless I choose to (though it is a system I would voluntarily pay into, I just believe it should be a choice).

Either way the entire Department of Education needs to be abolished and the business of education needs to be returned to the States.

No, I would have learned that stuff in Pre-School.

You are taking the basics of raising a child and putting it into what I am talking about. You might as well put in there that they teach you to poop too.

I remember some school district passed a rule a while back saying that teachers can't tell kids their answer is wrong - because it would hurt their self esteem.

So a kid could say that 4+1 = 7 and the teacher couldn't tell them it's wrong. WTF.

jesus :lol: I'd like to think I'll raise a child that will have the smarts and cojones to stand up and call that child a fraking moron in front of the rest of the class :p

You are taking the basics of raising a child and putting it into what I am talking about. You might as well put in there that they teach you to poop too.

Preschool is another problem. As is pre-pre-K and all the other stupid little systems they create to alleviate the poor parents of the responsibility of actually having to raise their children. :rolleyes:

It's more of a surprise to find a smart public school student than it is to find a stupid one. It isnt really surprising though, contrary to what they teach you in public school, everyone is not special and everyone cannot be above average.

There are stupid people in private school as well. The only difference is the teachers told them they were stupid. We had ranked classes for each subject. Never had to be taught alongside morons.

This must be why you are such a good "people person"

Dude, my parents taught me to read as well. Preschool is a waste of money and time.

Preschool is another problem. As is pre-pre-K and all the other stupid little systems they create to alleviate the poor parents of the responsibility of actually having to raise their children. :rolleyes:

Although I agreed somewhat with your last reply this is so horrible. So my parents are "poor parents" because I went to Pre-School?

Agreed. We should be looking at getting more kids into technical/vocational studies as soon as middle school. Here in Florida, you can be an AC tech and make a fine living for the rest of your life.
Along this same line, I think one of the dumbest things we did here in Florida was to tie your drivers license to you staying in HS. If you feel you are done w/ school at 16 and your parents can't motivate you to attend anymore, then fuck it, good riddance to you.

I am taking the basics of child rearing and putting it into what you are talking about. Your parenst did a whole hell of a lot of teaching/socializing you before you hit any classroom. Or were you some wooly haired, crazy eyed child who ate their own feeces before pre-school? What were you doing until the age of 4 shitting all over your self, since you parents couldn't be bothered to teach you to poop like a civilized person? - I'm kidding by the way, but I hope you see my point.

This must be why you are such a good "people person"

Having the common sense to realize that some people are smarter than others and that people are NOT created equally is far more important than being a good "people person".

^, and this reminds me of something else:

Stupid kids are still mean kids. Lumping them all together makes learning things harder than it has to be. It's all well and good in 1st grade before these things develop into jealousy but I know for a fact it is easier to function in an enviroment where people have the same basic education.