Running and fitness question.

El Borracho

Flaccid Member
Oct 17, 2004
Texas.
Marklar
₥0
Is it unhealthy to run more than 3 miles a day, everyday, 7/52?

I'm attempting to start a fitness regime to compensate for no longer playing baseball and instead of working out and wait lifting, i'll just run instead. I need the cardio more than the muscle gain.

*regimen

And have you ever run before? It's an ass kicker if you just step into it. Cardio is just like weight training, especially if you do it every day and punish yourself. Your muscles are still being worked, and they still need time to rest and repair. And cardio will suck every carb out of your body and leave your system starved for nutrients. So make sure you don't get into that strange mindset where you think you can run and run and run and lose tons of weight and not ever have to increase your food intake. Run when you want, but listen to your body when it's hungry.

Sarcasmo said:
*regimen

And have you ever run before? It's an ass kicker if you just step into it. Cardio is just like weight training, especially if you do it every day and punish yourself. Your muscles are still being worked, and they still need time to rest and repair. And cardio will suck every carb out of your body and leave your system starved for nutrients. So make sure you don't get into that strange mindset where you think you can run and run and run and lose tons of weight and not ever have to increase your food intake. Run when you want, but listen to your body when it's hungry.

I run ~ 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. but i also work out on mondays, wednesdays and fridays for about 45 minutes.

I'm fully expecting to have to work hard at this, but I've got to stay active.

El Borracho said:
I run ~ 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. but i also work out on mondays, wednesdays and fridays for about 45 minutes.

I'm fully expecting to have to work hard at this, but I've got to stay active.

Do you have a weight problem or something? 10 miles a week plus 45 minute workouts is not exactly considered sedentary. You might just up your daily runs to 5 or 6 miles. That's plenty. And are you actually running, or jogging? What's your average time on a mile?

fly said:
you have too much energy. i run ~2 miles, 3 times a week, and it kills me.

I can't run at all. I feel like I'm going to die of a stroke. I can sprint short distances, but I am not cut out for long distance. I'm stocky though and I have short legs. I'm built more for power than endurance. I wish I could run; it's a hell of an exercise.

Sarcasmo said:
I can't run at all. I feel like I'm going to die of a stroke. I can sprint short distances, but I am not cut out for long distance.

Ditto. I can go for miles in bed tho.

Sarcasmo said:
I can't run at all. I feel like I'm going to die of a stroke. I can sprint short distances, but I am not cut out for long distance. I'm stocky though and I have short legs. I'm built more for power than endurance. I wish I could run; it's a hell of an exercise.
I refuse to believe that someone isnt cut out for running. Hell, until last year, I didn't think I was either...

Look at what you eat. calories are only part of it. You may be burning more calories than you take in but its not going to matter if most of those calories are fat. Why dont you try doing some cardio after lifting weights?

I'm a dude that dislikes running and lifting weights. It's so boring.. what can I do otherwise to get some abs.

Sarcasmo said:
Do you have a weight problem or something? 10 miles a week plus 45 minute workouts is not exactly considered sedentary. You might just up your daily runs to 5 or 6 miles. That's plenty. And are you actually running, or jogging? What's your average time on a mile?

I'm 5'11 165lbs, i wouldnt say so.

I'm trying to stay active because baseball took up a majority of my time outside of school/work/home time, and i'm just not feeling playing baseball anymore. :(

and yeah i'm running, ~7 minute miles.

I suck at running but plan on working hard on it in the upcoming year. I have flat feet and get shin splints easy from running. I can can lift tons and don't have problems but running kicks my ass. I plan on getting some runner shoes because the right shoes makes such a huge difference and try to work up to doing a few miles several times a week.

I do high intenisty weight lifting, heavy weights with pretty short pauses, so I do get cardio with that but it's not like running.

i just got them nike shox. thems feel pretty nice when running. my suggestion is to go to a running shoe store tho. a place that can "professionally" analyze your feet to see if you pronate/supinate, then suggest a shoe for you based on that.

Working out your anterior tibialis muscles regularly is arguably the best way to avoid shin splints. Do toe raises.

Stand on the edge of a stair or some other raised surface, and drop your heels down and hold for a couple of seconds before raising back up to level. This works the front of your shins. People tend to get shin splints because they have insufficient support on that bone to compensate for the constant shock and stress of running.

fly said:
i just got them nike shox. thems feel pretty nice when running. my suggestion is to go to a running shoe store tho. a place that can "professionally" analyze your feet to see if you pronate/supinate, then suggest a shoe for you based on that.
This is key, the wrong shoes can kill you.

My wife gets shin splints easily with improper shoes, but there's a store run by guys who run marathons (http://www.billrodgers.com/) who manage to fit her with shoes that don't.

I have the knees of an 85 year old man and the Asics I have now make running nice 'n comfy :drool:

Sarcasmo said:
Working out your anterior tibialis muscles regularly is arguably the best way to avoid shin splints. Do toe raises.

Stand on the edge of a stair or some other raised surface, and drop your heels down and hold for a couple of seconds before raising back up to level. This works the front of your shins. People tend to get shin splints because they have insufficient support on that bone to compensate for the constant shock and stress of running.
I'll work your anterior tibialis big boy :hi2u:

Do these with a couple hundred pounds on a barbell accross your traps for the win++

I already do calf raises a few different ways to strengthen the shin area too. I'm just a lover and not a runner.

I don't get my loving on the run, it's more of a stroll.