Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

@fly you're using that mikrotik HEX router? Hows it been, any problems with plex access for folks?
Funny you ask. I had to reboot it yesterday which may or may not have resolved some issues. Its also entirely possible that its unrelated and my internet is fucky while Frontier replaces shit in the area broken from the storm. However, before this weekend, not a single issue.

This is what went all explodey on that computer power supply a month or so back

The inductor you're looking at is the PFC inductor.

PFC stage going bang is good, as the main stage of the supply will just lose its input voltage and not go out of regulation or anything.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Fired a cheap aliexpress server CPU in my desktop.
22 cores in the thing, I figure it'll compile Marlin a little bit quicker than the old 6-core Xeon v3 that was in there before.

20221018_181108_compress14.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
im guessing its just a server farm pull. The v4 CPUs are rotating out of circulation now. Its probably an actual Xeon, although maybe a QS
This.

It's a 2696v4, which is an OEM model made for Dell servers only. But that weirdness makes it cheap, compared to the 2699v4 which it's pretty much identical to, other than the turbo clocks or whatever being slightly different.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I found one of these next to a dumpster sophomore year in college. Dragged it back to my dorm and set it up in the common room hooked up to a PS2 and an ati all in wonder with a hauppage tuner.

Those were great times.
Just need one of those and a waterbed and you've got one of my first gf's bedroom.

bitch, I had a waterbed growing up

Even had the same fake-ass brown veneer as that projection TV cabinet.
You sure it was veneered? I've had a number of waterbeds, but they were all solid wood. Stained and coated, but solid wood. I can't imagine making a waterbed out of veneered particle board.

You sure it was veneered? I've had a number of waterbeds, but they were all solid wood. Stained and coated, but solid wood. I can't imagine making a waterbed out of veneered particle board.
Yup, it was like 2x10 timber frame around the sides, but fake veneer glued to it to make it look hardwoody on the outside.

Headboard thing where you put books and shit was 100% particle board bullshit.