Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I edited it. No local storage, but I think it meets all your other requirements.
Seems to be free cloud storage that just over-writes the old stuff at 2 weeks.

What do you know about the Blink stuff that's kind of Amazon's house brand or something?
Has a "sync module" that plugs in the house, can just record to a flash drive without paying for subscription service.
Can also add more of their devices like cameras and see it all (up to 10 devices) in their app.

There are subscription plans that let you do more things with it but seems like I could do the basic stuff without it.

Actually scratch that. There's precious little you can do without at least the basic subscription.

this one:
Amazon product ASIN B081C4JN51
local recording. That homebase it comes with does local storage of videos clips from cameras that you can add to the system, no subscription, free limited cloud if you want it, but not required
Weird. That top review says that it requires an active internet connection for local storage. You'd think since local storage is their selling point that you'd be able to do the whole thing offline.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Weird. That top review says that it requires an active internet connection for local storage. You'd think since local storage is their selling point that you'd be able to do the whole thing offline.
yeah, i dont think that reviewer is correct. The whole point of their homebase is local storage and sensing. The cameras apply the same concept and theyve been great.

Obviously to get alerts on your phone... it needs internet access.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and fly
this one:
Amazon product ASIN B081C4JN51
local recording. That homebase it comes with does local storage of videos clips from cameras that you can add to the system, no subscription, free limited cloud if you want it, but not required

Everything I've read about these says it's the one for me so thanks for the tip.

Biggest negative in reviews is battery life but most those people are like "everything sets it of!!!". RTFM. Exclusion zones, human only detection, etc., use it. They got every dog walker and fluttering bird draining the thing down.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
their human and pet detection is fantastic, ive never seen it make a mistake. And thats all you really care about with a doorbell. Its all on camera AI too, so no need to have internet connectivity to have it function.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The operating temperature range only goes up to 122°F(reedumb), so you might end up getting fucked by that living in Texas.

I'll put it in a shaded spot.
Direct sun in the afternoon can indeed reach that. Lots of surfaces can hit 130-140

So some local security expert I know has been scanning pastebin for home automation API keys. Lots of people post them on there when they're asking for help making their houses all smart and shit.

If your Alexa box suddenly bellows out I'M A DUMBSHIT THAT POSTS THEIR API KEYS TO PASTEBIN or something similar, it's probably them.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
So some local security expert I know has been scanning pastebin for home automation API keys. Lots of people post them on there when they're asking for help making their houses all smart and shit.

If your Alexa box suddenly bellows out I'M A DUMBSHIT THAT POSTS THEIR API KEYS TO PASTEBIN or something similar, it's probably them.
:D amazon lambda keys are all over the place too in people looking for help... and those are attached to billable accts.