Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Thinking I'm gonna retire this 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15" for one of them new 14" with the M1 Max chip.

I'll have to go put my grubby mitts on one in the store first, so I can ensure it'll hold up to my pawing.
the ipad pro has the same chip
chk it out

you remember how i said you should get a quicksync setup for video decoding/etc?

That is a giant fucking pain in the ass for me. But all the unraid people seem to get it working no prob

it just wont use the iGPU to decode/encode, or it will claim it does but CPU use will still be through the roof.

I cant even get it to work right in the absolute simplest of scenarios (ubuntu on bare metal, app (jellyfin, ffmpeg, mpv, vlc whatever) direct installed, no docker.

it just wont use the iGPU to decode/encode, or it will claim it does but CPU use will still be through the roof.

I cant even get it to work right in the absolute simplest of scenarios (ubuntu on bare metal, app (jellyfin, ffmpeg, mpv, vlc whatever) direct installed, no docker.
Have you figured this out yet?

nope... the current stage im in is that ive installed an unraid trial to see if the stricter ecosystem makes it work.

Unraid is a lot most polished than it used to be last i tried it

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
The thing is, I wouldnt never use it for storage other than some tmp space, id just use it as the hyperconverged solution (docker + VMs + infra)

I will admit my shit is a bit antiquated these days. Id probably go RAIDZ2 ZFS with NVMe SSDs if i was to do it all over again

oh, @fly my coral m.2 actually shipped from Arrow.
sigh.... I didnt realize e-key isnt compatible with a+e slot, i figured a+e meant either a or e.... nope.

Ultimate plan was to put a pcie adapter in anyway, but thats just hurried up now.

• Sad
Reactions: fly
wtf man. Exact same symptoms on unraid. GPU says its working, but i still get huge cpu usage and it deosnt appear to actually decode. And this is on two different systems with intel gpus.

wtf man. Exact same symptoms on unraid. GPU says its working, but i still get huge cpu usage and it deosnt appear to actually decode. And this is on two different systems with intel gpus.
The CPU usage isn't tied to the integrated GPU? I thought they shared die space, so it wouldn't surprise me if the "cpu usage" is in some way tied-in.

I'm sure you know this, but just to confirm, you do not see HW listed in the Plex server?

1636410823844.png