Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

May have found a way to gain temporary "root" access over adb, setting up a Mint distro with all I need on a USB drive atm. Should be able to copy the stock recovery image and from there either disable signature verification or use my own signature on the recovery, which will allow me to sideload anything over adb, which should allow me to flash SuperSU.

Wish me luck or call me an idiot.
ebd3302ea0d89d07909fbb380fe78bf2.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
Does the Linux desktop experience still suck?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
I dunno, I've been a dedicated Mac user since OS X and the dual-USB iBook in 2001. Linux as a desktop was pretty wretched at that point.

I still use Debian's desktop environment in computer labs. It's not horrible.

That's not so bad, when you expect linux to function like linux.
Yep: edit all the files. Just a matter of figuring out where Android Studio puts all its SDKs and NDKs and commands and whatnot.

@gee: depends on what you're doing and your distro. Very powerful once you get acclimated.

I'm using Mint 18 XFCE, which has rolling updates and various other modern tweaks. Mint offers a good bit of ease without stacking too much crap on top like Ubuntu.

I'm guessing it's much better than 2001, but I've only been using it intermittently since 2008 or so.

Tell us about Punch cards again. Pretty please.

They weren't a punch card. They were a pouch. But they were small and tight enough i guess some low-techs might think they were a card. But once you ripped the top off, and poured the contents, sugar, and water into a pitcher, it was clearly a pouch of punch.

Why oh why can't microsoft make a wireless mouse with a battery door that doesn't break. Bought a sculpt mobile mouse for my laptop, one fucking week of use and the stupid thing's broke.

Hackers are just getting more and more clever

From Ars Technica (link at bottom):

The extension uses a bit.ly URL to reach its C&C, but the URL path is nowhere to be found in the extension code. In fact, it will obtain this path by using comments posted on a specific Instagram post. The one that was used in the analyzed sample was a comment about a photo posted to the Britney Spears official Instagram account.

Enlarge

©

The extension will look at each photo's comment and will compute a custom hash value. If the hash matches 183, it will then run this regular expression on the comment in order to obtain the path of the bit.ly URL:

(?:\\u200d(?:#|@)(\\w)

Looking at the photo's comments, there was only one for which the hash matches 183. This comment was posted on February 6, while the original photo was posted in early January. Taking the comment and running it through the regex, you get the following bit.ly URL:

htt*://bit.ly/2kdhuHX (direct link removed. That being said, don't go here)

Looking a bit more closely at the regular expression, we see it is looking for either @|# or the Unicode character \200d. This character is actually a non-printable character called 'Zero Width Joiner,' normally used to separate emojis. Pasting the actual comment or looking at its source, you can see that this character precedes each character that makes the path of the bit.ly URL:

smith2155#2hot make loveid to her, uupss #Hot #X

When resolving this shortened link, it leads to static.travelclothes.org/dolR_1ert.php, which was used in the past as a watering hole C&C by the Turla crew.

https://arstechnica.com/security/20...spears-for-help-concealing-espionage-malware/