Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Dick Butt 3D printed drone rocket?!?

IN!
This particular board is a model rocket launch controller. At least that's one purpose it has, really it's intended for blowing up random shit with a high voltage/high current energy pulse. It uses a camera flash charger IC and transformer to charge up a couple 180uF photoflash caps to 325V, and dumps them into whatever's connected to the output terminals through a 150A rated IGBT.

It'll be mounted in a 3D printed case about the size of a Wiimote with a few AA batteries for power, and a couple of binding posts sticking out the top. SW1 is the arm switch, SW2 is the fire button, and a bicolor LED in the center gives the battery and charging status.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and Duke
well fuck. I swear i got stupider as i get older.

Im back to just tapping a buncha screws into an aluminum block :p
That sounds like it takes time, tools and money. Get a chunk of 2x4 and run two rows of steel hanger strap across it.

I may have seen that in a grow house once.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
i try not to sink to the level of marijuana engineering.
You'd think for something as lucrative as illegally growing weed, you'd be able to find and handsomely pay an electrician to wire up your shit and keep quiet about it, but noooo...

Definitely was a weird time in my life. Some friends of mine stole a traffic light that fell from a pole during a wind storm. I wired it up so it worked, using a PIC16F84 and a few triac drivers and other crap thrown onto breadboard. You could make it act like a timed traffic signal, or you could turn on/off each light, make it blink, dim it, fade and do other shit... they set it up in their apartment and it kinda became the centerpiece of the place. Eventually the apartment became a stoner hangout, and I became known as the "traffic light guy" who knew how to do electronics shit... next thing you know I'm keeping a grow house from burning down.

The grow house got busted not long after that, thankfully nothing came back to me.

You'd think for something as lucrative as illegally growing weed, you'd be able to find and handsomely pay an electrician to wire up your shit and keep quiet about it, but noooo...

Definitely was a weird time in my life. Some friends of mine stole a traffic light that fell from a pole during a wind storm. I wired it up so it worked, using a PIC16F84 and a few triac drivers and other crap thrown onto breadboard. You could make it act like a timed traffic signal, or you could turn on/off each light, make it blink, dim it, fade and do other shit... they set it up in their apartment and it kinda became the centerpiece of the place. Eventually the apartment became a stoner hangout, and I became known as the "traffic light guy" who knew how to do electronics shit... next thing you know I'm keeping a grow house from burning down.

The grow house got busted not long after that, thankfully nothing came back to me.
ActionTPBM.jpg

i think i actually remember that. Or you've told us about it before.

Noone realizes that traffic lights are fuckin 5 feet tall and 300lbs

This particular board is a model rocket launch controller. At least that's one purpose it has, really it's intended for blowing up random shit with a high voltage/high current energy pulse. It uses a camera flash charger IC and transformer to charge up a couple 180uF photoflash caps to 325V, and dumps them into whatever's connected to the output terminals through a 150A rated IGBT.

It'll be mounted in a 3D printed case about the size of a Wiimote with a few AA batteries for power, and a couple of binding posts sticking out the top. SW1 is the arm switch, SW2 is the fire button, and a bicolor LED in the center gives the battery and charging status.
I'm still using e-matches that ignite with 12V.