Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Seems pointless but you can do it. In the original switch you should have two whites and two blacks, tie the whites together, a black should go to both sides of the switch. Insulate the red, you don't need it anymore.

On the dimmer side you should have two whites and two blacks also. Tie the whites to the white on the dimmer, tie one black to the black on the dimmer, tie the other black to the blue on the dimmer. Insulate the red.

The black you tie to the black on the dimmer should come out of the same cable that the red comes out of. The other cable should be going up to your light fixture and should have the blue tied to it.
Thanks man. Got them all up and running!

• Gravy
Reactions: plot
Seagate ST4000LM016's. Apparently these drives are a Samsung design, but who knows.

There's really no large-sample-set, same-environment reliability info out there on 2.5" drives like Backblaze has going for 3.5" drives, hard to predict what the reliability's gonna be like.

Anyway samba's up and going. Time to hook up the new storage box, stuff in a few small drives, install the btrfs packages and start friggin' around.

Oh yeah. I meant Samsung. I don't know why I was thinking hitachi.

They're supposed to be the Samsung enterprise 'ish drives that last.

One of my dog daycare clients dropped their laptop a few months ago, killing the hard drive.

Of course being the unfortunate bastard that knows a thing or two about computers, it landed in my lap. I threw in a spare 320GB HD I had kicking around, in place of the 500GB one that was in there, and installed W10 on the thing. I didn't charge anything because they give us a fair bit of business and I wasn't using the hard drive.

So the laptop lands in my hands again today. "They dropped it and think it needs a new hard drive again" - sure enough, it boots up but can't find the hard drive. Fuck people, take care of your shit.

I proposed they spend 75 bucks and I throw a SSD there instead, because it'll be quicker and hold up better to their dropping-shit habit... but no, they don't want to spend money. So I'm reinstalling Windows again on a 80GB, 5400rpm Fujitsu drive I found. It's gonna be slow, but they've been warned...

One of my dog daycare clients dropped their laptop a few months ago, killing the hard drive.

Of course being the unfortunate bastard that knows a thing or two about computers, it landed in my lap. I threw in a spare 320GB HD I had kicking around, in place of the 500GB one that was in there, and installed W10 on the thing. I didn't charge anything because they give us a fair bit of business and I wasn't using the hard drive.

So the laptop lands in my hands again today. "They dropped it and think it needs a new hard drive again" - sure enough, it boots up but can't find the hard drive. Fuck people, take care of your shit.

I proposed they spend 75 bucks and I throw a SSD there instead, because it'll be quicker and hold up better to their dropping-shit habit... but no, they don't want to spend money. So I'm reinstalling Windows again on a 80GB, 5400rpm Fujitsu drive I found. It's gonna be slow, but they've been warned...

Fuck that, and fuck them.

Fool me once...

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog
Fuck that, and fuck them.

Fool me once...
True.

At least it's a quick job. Boot the laptop, can't find boot device, hear a pa-TICK pa-TICK pa-TICK coming from inside the laptop. Remove HD caddy, yank dead drive, stuff in old 80gb drive, stuff in Win10 install USB stick, and let it do its thing. Every so often when I'm walking by I'll click OK or whatever the fuck I gotta do to make the thing install. Probably 10 minutes of my time total.

Man so I was using the CPU/GPU thing in my old processor before to power a 3rd monitor. My new shit doesn't have that. Now I'm back to two monitors for now. I feel like a fukn poor. :(