Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok. *5 months is 21 2/3 weeks. 4 1/3 weeks to a month. IT's a close call. And the law in the jurisdiction is the law - I don't know Alabama law. Doesn't mean you, me or anybody else agree, it is what it is.
I had thought you were under the impression it was farther along by your talking about it being like a baby in a carrier so that was what guided my response there.

obviously what they CAN charge depends on the law, I don't think anyone was arguing against that, the crux of the argument is that the roll-backs on when an embryo or fetus attains personhood via the anti-abortion laws is enabling situations like this where pregnant people can be criminalized for the loss of a pregnancy despite it being prior to medically accepted viability & where in the absence of the fetus or embryo they would not be criminalized

SHe precipitated and continued the throw down. It sounds like maybe the shooter was willing to back off and she instead kept coming. At some point(maybe it would be clearer in a video of the event) it might have been self-defense for the shooter. The child/fetus was basically an innocent bystander, to an assault that was fended off with gunfire. Ironically, the mother of said fetus was the assailant.
even in cases of self defense, the assailant is not charged with being shot; they may be charged with whatever related to the fight they started (e.g. assault and/or battery of the person who went on to shoot them) or for other crimes they engaged in that led to the shooter feeling the need to defend themselves (e.g. B&E, criminal trespassing, etc), but what they are not going to be charged with is something relating to actually being shot.

and yes I understand how the letter of the law "allows" this bc it is now treating a fetus as a person, but the point is that that's fucking ridiculous

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
If someone could explain to the class when a piece of tissue becomes a person that would clear a lot of things up.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
One thing I've noticed here in Halifax, is immigrants work harder and contribute a whole lot more to society than the people who bitch about them. Probably half the small businesses here are immigrant owned.
seems to be a general rule everywhere.

And it's people like this dude. He's like 5 minutes from work and a few of us checked out his place yesterday afternoon.

"Booza" ice cream is really fucking good.

A somali dude near us, who worked at an ihop for 20 years and saved up all his money to open his own restaurant opened a combination breakfast diner, and north african food place.

The yemeni and somali food is amazing, and the dude comes to every table, stops and chats with you for a while, and is just an all around great host.

Sadly, every time we go its almost empty, but that just makes me want to go more to support the dude and make sure he stays open, since the food is amazing.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
why wouldn't you just quote it ?

If you're gonna have a thing where you can link to a specific post, it should preview the actual content of the destination of the link.

If its not going to do that, you should either turn off the preview function and have a normal looking link or just do away with post linking all together.

As it is, it's a bunch of disjointed fuckery where the reader gets thrown off and has to take an additional step to unfuck it and it adds nothing to the experience but rather fucks it up.

I mentioned this to fly before but he seemed bogged down in the machinations of what's happening instead of stepping back and thinking about what should happen so I figured fuck it, it's not worth complaining about. I'm already getting more than I'm paying for, I'll deal with it.

If you're gonna have a thing where you can link to a specific post, it should preview the actual content of the destination of the link.

If its not going to do that, you should either turn off the preview function and have a normal looking link or just do away with post linking all together.

As it is, it's a bunch of disjointed fuckery where the reader gets thrown off and has to take an additional step to unfuck it and it adds nothing to the experience but rather fucks it up.

I mentioned this to fly before but he seemed bogged down in the machinations of what's happening instead of stepping back and thinking about what should happen so I figured fuck it, it's not worth complaining about. I'm already getting more than I'm paying for, I'll deal with it.
Scooter, when you quote someone it gives a direct link to that post. Its literally what you're talking about.

So, as the lady said, why wouldn't you quote it?

If someone could explain to the class when a piece of tissue becomes a person that would clear a lot of things up.

That’s the rub.

People believe who they want to believe. Some people believe science, others in an ideology.

Let’s see em go to a priest or rabbi next time they need a bone set or an enlarged appendix.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.