Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Pretty sure @august predicted this situation with all the new anti-abortion laws being created.

Pregnant woman gets in a fight. Non-pregnant woman shoots first woman. Pregnant woman miscarried as a direct result of shooting.

Pregnant woman is charged with manslaughter for "death of the infant"

Pretty sure @august predicted this situation with all the new anti-abortion laws being created.

Pregnant woman gets in a fight. Non-pregnant woman shoots first woman. Pregnant woman miscarried as a direct result of shooting.

Seems this could be the case in any state if the mother was beyond the time period where abortions are legal, if legal at all. At some point it is considered a child no matter where you are and at that point it's child neglect at very least. If it was a child in one of those stomach carrier things the charge would be the same. Not saying that Alabama's laws aren't draconian.

Seems this could be the case in any state if the mother was beyond the time period where abortions are legal, if legal at all. At some point it is considered a child no matter where you are and at that point it's child neglect at very least. If it was a child in one of those stomach carrier things the charge would be the same. Not saying that Alabama's laws aren't draconian.
she was 5 months pregnant, which is 18-22 weeks and below the currently accepted limit of viability.

she was 5 months pregnant, which is 18-22 weeks and below the currently accepted limit of viability.
ok. *5 months is 21 2/3 weeks. 4 1/3 weeks to a month. IT's a close call. And the law in the jurisdiction is the law - I don't know Alabama law. Doesn't mean you, me or anybody else agree, it is what it is.

thats just "i hate women" application of the law. Someone else literally attempted to murder two people (mother and child), and somehow one of the victims is getting charged?

thats just "i hate women" application of the law. Someone else literally attempted to murder two people (mother and child), and somehow one of the victims is getting charged?
They say the pregnant gal started and continued the fight, the shooter was acting in self defense. Even pregnant women might need to be slapped, punched or shot if they keep coming at you. Theoretically.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
They say the pregnant gal started and continued the fight, the shooter was acting in self defense. Even pregnant women might need to be slapped, punched or shot if they keep coming at you. Theoretically.
while its not a law everywhere, ive always been a proponent of proportional force. Shooting someone seems excessive unless the other attacker had a weapon, was hugely larger than you, choking you, something.

while its not a law everywhere, ive always been a proponent of proportional force. Shooting someone seems excessive unless the other attacker had a weapon, was hugely larger than you, choking you, something.
Proportional force sounds nice, but if the pregnant gal started it and continued it, the person being attacked might feel they need to use whatever force to stop the attacker. We really don't know enough to even speculate.
* I am not biting a German Shepherd back if it bites me - proportional force be damned. Someone says "I'm gonna kick your ass" I usually try to hit them first. I didn't ask for that shit, I get to choose how it ends. DItto with person breaking into my place with a screwdriver - I'm not confronting them with a screwdriver. There are no rules, it's not a sanctioned sport.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

The article completely leaves out the progression of events from argument to shooting. They're just going for a knee jerk reaction to omg somebody shot a pregnant woman.

So we're left with this...

the grand jury declined to indict Jemison because she was acting in self-defense

grand jury instead charged Jones with manslaughter for the miscarriage

“It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.

That reads like the grand jury found the pregnant woman to be the instigator/aggressor and that she took it to enough of a threat or force level to justify a self-defense shooting.

It happened in front of a store. I bet they have video and eye witness to back that up.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie