Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bloomberg is going to be president then?
I hope not but It's how he got popular so fast out of nowhere. Doesn't mean he'll win but he has the people's attention simply by putting his name in front of them.

I'm sure Trump will win for obvious reasons.

I didn't see this debate, but I heard it summed up as "Bloomberg brings a wallet to a knife fight", so it sounded like fun.
Same.

I've read the different candidates platforms, so seeing them go all thunderdome style is unnecessary for me.

Especially since I can't vote for them in a primary.

Possibly. But if it was just about marketing and name recognition Tom Steyer would have been a front runner for months.

Bloomberg has spend more than all the other candidates combined so far, including Steyer. And he's been in the running for less time. I saw something that he plans to spend a billion dollars on this.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
Same.

I've read the different candidates platforms, so seeing them go all thunderdome style is unnecessary for me.

Especially since I can't vote for them in a primary.
why the fuck not. Get off the fence and get yourself affiliated with a party so you can vote in the primary. There is precisely zero harm to doing so, it doesnt mean you are forced to vote for that party in the general.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
why the fuck not. Get off the fence and get yourself affiliated with a party so you can vote in the primary. There is precisely zero harm to doing so, it doesnt mean you are forced to vote for that party in the general.
Because New Mexico's primary means fuck-all.

It's my version of a protest vote - I'd rather keep a 3rd party somewhat viable by pointless inflation of numbers than vote in a primary that doesn't matter.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Because New Mexico's primary means fuck-all.

It's my version of a protest vote - I'd rather keep a 3rd party somewhat viable by pointless inflation of numbers than vote in a primary that doesn't matter.

It is a super late primary, but in a close run, there is a chance it might have not been hit yet.

Look at the 2016 primary results vs the polling

polling showed Clinton stomping all over sanders, but reality was way way closer

I know people are pushing the blue-no-matter-who thing, but primaries aren't the time for that, this is the time where we have the chance to pick a candidate that will stand a chance at winning AND actually representing the people. this is absolutely the time for "interparty conflict" because the candidates all have very different ideas of what the party should stand for/do, and to act like you can't criticize anybody else who's on your "team," like they're all the same is ludicrous. obviously the Trump crowd is going to try to weaponize anything they can against whoever wins, but it's not like they wouldn't find something to do that with if everyone held hands or whatever instead. and playing to the middle/antiquated notions of respectability/electability is how we end up with Kerry and Clinton and we have seen how well that actually plays out.

I'm curious to see how Sanders does in our primary. His main voting block is college kids and people under 30. Our primary is on St. Patrick's Day. Most of his voters will be out partying instead of voting.

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
I know people are pushing the blue-no-matter-who thing, but primaries aren't the time for that, this is the time where we have the chance to pick a candidate that will stand a chance at winning AND actually representing the people. this is absolutely the time for "interparty conflict" because the candidates all have very different ideas of what the party should stand for/do, and to act like you can't criticize anybody else who's on your "team," like they're all the same is ludicrous. obviously the Trump crowd is going to try to weaponize anything they can against whoever wins, but it's not like they wouldn't find something to do that with if everyone held hands or whatever instead. and playing to the middle/antiquated notions of respectability/electability is how we end up with Kerry and Clinton and we have seen how well that actually plays out.
civil debate and different ideas is great. But if it results in a contested convention and fractured voter base like 2016, it fucks us all. People are a group are vindictive tribal fucks and will carry any grudges they build during the primary into the general. This will either result in the strongest of the weak candidates winning the primary, or in fracturing after the primary if one of the strong candidates win.

human beings just saying "ok, my dude didnt win, but i acknowledge the strengths of this other dude and will support them now" is not something easy for folks

Status
Not open for further replies.