Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What it would have been" depends on where you're starting from and what measure of increase you're tying it to.

The cities that have gone to a $15 min. have done it over a period of years, but with the endpoint established. I'm guessing that the "lower-middle class" you're concerned about is making less than $15 anyway, so there ya go. This isn't about eating the rich, it's about paying people fairly.
And how exactly is fair pay the same in every state when every state has a unique economy and CoL?

I'm game for the least getting more. I'd love to see minimum wage at $20. The worry I have is the doubling overnight aspect in combination with how that money is moved around... but hold on and I'll wave this magic wand I just pulled out of my ass and the world's problems will be solved.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
t5cid9xqeyb31.png

I wasn't going to reply to this because I have no clue what you were getting at but I saw Asa gravied it so now I'm curious what I'm missing out on.

Firstly I'm game for Medicaid for all. I dont see reciving medicaid as a bad use of government cheese, not to mention minimum wage is doable (not easy but possible in SC) even without it. Secondly the newest iPhone is more like 40 dollars a month with a 2 year contract, plus there are great phones for $50 and plans as cheap as free. Thirdly you lost me big at "but let it go" you mean your let you home phone go?

Let it go, as in not going there even though I did. I know the latest and greatest phone is expensive. I don’t think everyone who is “poor” is that way because they insist on having the latest and greatest phone. That’s an old man argument.

Medicaid and Medicare. I feel you are confusing the two. Medicaid is what poor folks qualify for as a supplement to existing “insurance”, or in the case of state health plans, the health plan for some people. Medicare is something people who have pay for with a premium, monthly, and it’s a lot cheaper than regular health insurance because there is no built in profit allowance.

I have Medicare, it costs $135 a month, taken right out of my SS. I have no choice in that. If I had other insurance, I could probably get by without it. I don’t qualify for Medicaid. I make $16 a month too much.

It seems like your arguments against a livable minimum wage all involve some kind of government supplemental help, like Yang’s UBI or Medicaid. I’m talking about a real livable wage.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I haven’t read the entire thread yet but something else that seems to be overlooked when discussing wages is that if there was a REAL public option for healthcare and employers didn’t have to cover employees, they’d have a lot of freed capital to pay employees more.

Wouldn’t they?

So in other words no you haven't.

Still waiting on that example where labor costs doubled and everything else stayed the same.

In a state where a $15 an hour minimum wage ACTUALLY doubles the current minimum, too fuckin bad. Maybe they should’ve been paying a decent wage to begin with.

One example. A grocery store chain here. The minimum wage here is $10.75 (I think) and they paid their employees more than that. Then they implemented their own starting wage of $15 an hour.

There have been no layoffs, no “doubling of prices” LOL (you’ve been fed the low profit margin BS so long you believe it), and the store is strong.

Some places will suffer, sure, and that’s too bad. The same thing happens on a larger scale every day with larger business.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I think the doubling aspect keeps getting ignored. I keep mentioning it so it's not forgotten but I don't think it's working. 15 bucks isn't that big a deal for New York (12.00 currently I think) . It's a freaking huge jump from 7.25

Drive over to Hilton Head and ask if they can afford to pay someone more.

I think the doubling aspect keeps getting ignored. I keep mentioning it so it's not forgotten but I don't think it's working. 15 bucks isn't that big a deal for New York (12.00 currently I think) . It's a freaking huge jump from 7.25

That's the thing, it's like 7.50 or something here too. I'm not even saying it shouldn't be raised but doubling all at once is stupid. People just getting more money is fantasy. Prices will rise, hours will be cut, some will be fired, places that would've hired another employee will not, etc.

If we're gonna have a minimum wage at all it should be done way more locally. Different areas of the same state still have far different costs of living. Having a blanket federal rate for costly cities and cornfield, USA is dumb too.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
The problem I see happening with suddenly raising the minimum, or doubling it, would be the housing crisis larger cities are experiencing. Market pricing for housing is forcing people even on a “livable” wage to flee and commute, or be homeless, like many have resorted too.

I saw a teacher grading papers in her car that she lived in. That’s where we are headed everywhere if it isn’t done right.

But now that so few people have so much, and it would be oh so unfair to ask them to NOT do that, we’re just plain ol fucked.

Damn, you guys are right! Fuck it.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and HipHugHer
The problem I see happening with suddenly raising the minimum, or doubling it, would be the housing crisis larger cities are experiencing. Market pricing for housing is forcing people even on a “livable” wage to flee and commute, or be homeless, like many have resorted too.

I saw a teacher grading papers in her car that she lived in. That’s where we are headed everywhere if it isn’t done right.

But now that so few people have so much, and it would be oh so unfair to ask them to NOT do that, we’re just plain ol fucked.

Damn, you guys are right! Fuck it.
it can work well if it's phased in over a two to three year period, rising every 6 months. it gives everyone time to adjust.

Let it go, as in not going there even though I did. I know the latest and greatest phone is expensive. I don’t think everyone who is “poor” is that way because they insist on having the latest and greatest phone. That’s an old man argument.

Medicaid and Medicare. I feel you are confusing the two. Medicaid is what poor folks qualify for as a supplement to existing “insurance”, or in the case of state health plans, the health plan for some people. Medicare is something people who have pay for with a premium, monthly, and it’s a lot cheaper than regular health insurance because there is no built in profit allowance.

I have Medicare, it costs $135 a month, taken right out of my SS. I have no choice in that. If I had other insurance, I could probably get by without it. I don’t qualify for Medicaid. I make $16 a month too much.

It seems like your arguments against a livable minimum wage all involve some kind of government supplemental help, like Yang’s UBI or Medicaid. I’m talking about a real livable wage.
Pretty sure I've been saying medicaid this whole time which is the one I was talking about, if not my bad. I also said that it's doable without it in SC and that even though it is minimum wage should still be increased, just not double over night. I'm not against increasing minimum wage. I'm not sure why people keep telling me I am. I'm a guy who dreams of setting a maximum wage as well as increased minimum wage. I'm also a guy who wants to think about how to get there and not just move numbers around and hope it works out.

it can work well if it's phased in over a two to three year period, rising every 6 months. it gives everyone time to adjust.
Nobody mentioned it(I think) but doubling the minimum wage would immediatly put a squeeze on anyone working a cash job or anyone who works on a per job basis. Other shit will ratchet up but their wages won't. Who needs camps - we can starve them in their homes right here?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.