Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ~$725 American. In my town that used to be 1 months rent on a small apartment but not anymore.

I assume the "how much for how much" relationship is quite different over there otherwise that is an incredibly good deal on politicians. Everybody could have one.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
If they've completed their sentence and "paid their debt to society" they should have everything fully restored. Voting, guns, not being on some naughty list, all of it. Anything less is still being punished.
I think the 'long term penalties' ended up reducing an even longer jail term and therefore let someone who commit a crime get out earlier and at the same time reduced the cost to the state. It was kind of a trade off.

If the choice is a 5yr jail term, or 1yr and permanently lose voting/guns/etc, if you choose the 1yr, you're actually still paying your debt to society after you're out of jail.

I think the 'long term penalties' ended up reducing an even longer jail term and therefore let someone who commit a crime get out earlier and at the same time reduced the cost to the state. It was kind of a trade off.

If the choice is a 5yr jail term, or 1yr and permanently lose voting/guns/etc, if you choose the 1yr, you're actually still paying your debt to society after you're out of jail.
Dangling four years of someone's life over their rights. Fucking sick.

Last edited:

It doesn’t work that way here, at all. A felony is a felony. Pleading out just shortened the time in jail, usually if traded for anything, it traded for longer time on parole/probation.

I know my share of felons and have been in plenty of hearings.

Anybody or case I've heard of doesn't get choices like that, although some of what you're talking about is what parole is for.

Sentence is 20 years. Eligible for parole in 10. If approved, serve the rest of the time out here under some set of conditions, sometimes fairly strict/limiting. Violate any of the conditions they get locked up again.

They do have the option of not applying for parole, sitting out all their time, and being "free" upon release.

Except they're really not free. Still can't vote, or own firearms. Some have to register and be on lists and aren't allowed to live certain places, etc.

I'm coming at it from the angle of, if the sentence is X, and they did X in whatever acceptable manner, they should be made whole again. Redemption has to play a part in this.

If they can't be trusted with all their rights and freedoms they should still be on parole or locked up, but if some representative(s) of "society", judge or jury, says this bad thing you did is worth X, and the person does X, they've upheld their end of the deal and should be given another shot at living truly free again, or as free as the rest of us do anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.