Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, how do y'inz think countries become barbarous dictatorships? All the good everyday volk just wake up one day instantly aware and ready to resist?

Niemöller never said anything about brown people, so I guess we're good!

Anybody or case I've heard of doesn't get choices like that, although some of what you're talking about is what parole is for.

Sentence is 20 years. Eligible for parole in 10. If approved, serve the rest of the time out here under some set of conditions, sometimes fairly strict/limiting. Violate any of the conditions they get locked up again.

They do have the option of not applying for parole, sitting out all their time, and being "free" upon release.

Except they're really not free. Still can't vote, or own firearms. Some have to register and be on lists and aren't allowed to live certain places, etc.

I'm coming at it from the angle of, if the sentence is X, and they did X in whatever acceptable manner, they should be made whole again. Redemption has to play a part in this.

If they can't be trusted with all their rights and freedoms they should still be on parole or locked up, but if some representative(s) of "society", judge or jury, says this bad thing you did is worth X, and the person does X, they've upheld their end of the deal and should be given another shot at living truly free again, or as free as the rest of us do anyway.
First, we agree that after paying your debt they should be made whole. 100%.

What I'm saying is that if we go into the wayback machine, a judge said 'dude, you're guilty of killing her. the penalty is X.' and the dude & his atty said, 'can we make X = less jail and no voting & guns forever, like a lifetime parole? It will even save some of the cost of jail.' and those terms were agreed to. So it eventually became boilerplate penalties. Fast-forward to today. *We're* NOW saying the lifetime thing doesn't sound so fair. OK. If that's the case, when we re-construct a more fair penalty, the other penalties will end up increasing or others will be added as the lifetime ones drop off. All we're going to do in the long term is figure out a different way to repay the debt to society. If the penalty is $1.00, then you can pay it with one paper buck, 2 fifty cent pieces, 1 fifty cent piece and 2 quarters, 10 dimes, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
Google returned a bunch of femdom when I searched "bootlicker" gifs. I was worried that was saying something about my search history but it did it in incognito mode too so I'm in the clear. (I think?)
What's is like to have been 13 when obama announced he was running for president, and been told you're a victim as long as you've had a smartphone?

I Googled it, but it just returned pictures of snowflakes.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
First, we agree that after paying your debt they should be made whole. 100%.

What I'm saying is that if we go into the wayback machine, a judge said 'dude, you're guilty of killing her. the penalty is X.' and the dude & his atty said, 'can we make X = less jail and no voting & guns forever, like a lifetime parole? It will even save some of the cost of jail.' and those terms were agreed to. So it eventually became boilerplate penalties. Fast-forward to today. *We're* NOW saying the lifetime thing doesn't sound so fair. OK. If that's the case, when we re-construct a more fair penalty, the other penalties will end up increasing or others will be added as the lifetime ones drop off. All we're going to do in the long term is figure out a different way to repay the debt to society. If the penalty is $1.00, then you can pay it with one paper buck, 2 fifty cent pieces, 1 fifty cent piece and 2 quarters, 10 dimes, etc.

Ya there's plea deals but I've never heard of trading some time for a lifelong voting ban or something. That's not an option that can be bargained with. It's written in law as lifelong punishment for any felony, no matter what deal was struck for a sentence.

I don't think juries can even take it out of a sentence. Or if it is some nullification option they're never told they have the power to do it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
BUT SHARIA, Hoggz!
We were wrong about the Irish, Italians, Greeks, Japanese, Chinese, all of Eastern Europe generally; but this time, this time we're sure that this invasion of minorities is a true existential crisis for our nation of immigrants on stolen land!

Still not sure about them blacks. Thought we had them subjugated well enough with the whole "your life for the parts of our religion that will keep you subservient" bit, but now they're reading and making culture our very own sons and daughters enjoy without shame! Truly, this is a dark time for the US.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
We were wrong about the Irish, Italians, Greeks, Japanese, Chinese, all of Eastern Europe generally; but this time, this time we're sure this invasion of minorities is a true existential crisis for our nation of immigrants on stolen land!

Still not sure about them blacks. Thought we had them subjugated well enough with the whole "your life for the parts of our religion that will keep you subservient" bit, but now they're reading and making culture our very own sons and daughters enjoy without shame! Truly, this is a dark time for the US.
If history has taught me anything, it's that every single minority is an EXISTENTIAL THREAT to my way of life.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Yep. I think it's become such a part of the procedure it literally exists because it's been that way for so long.

I think you were refering to some point back in history when those laws started getting passed and i was referring to now. I think that was the disconnect if there was one.
I don't know when that started happening but it's been status quo for at least my lifetime, most likely longer.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
We were wrong about the Irish, Italians, Greeks, Japanese, Chinese, all of Eastern Europe generally; but this time, this time we're sure that this invasion of minorities is a true existential crisis for our nation of immigrants on stolen land!

What about Russians?

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Peppers
I can't possibly imagine why you are a fan of laws that got their start as a way to keep black people oppressed in the antebellum South.

The firearms restrictions started coming about in the 1930's as a response to organized crime which was a direct result of prohibition, so basically the government fucked it up then "fixed" it by fucking it up some more.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
The firearms restrictions started coming about in the 1930's as a response to organized crime which was a direct result of prohibition, so basically the government fucked it up then "fixed" it by fucking it up some more.
Talking about disenfranchisement here, champ. I was hoping you might be able to relate to this issue that you actually care about and see the way in which a white supremacy driven system effects real everyday folk negatively.

tfw you literally start your argument with "what about".

Sure I'll play: foreign gov't interfering in US election and installing someone who behaves like an asset ≠ foreigners moving to the US

You forgot to mention Russians in your list of good people as they really aren't "eastern Europe".

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Status
Not open for further replies.