Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.

5000:1 is a bit misleading there. It specifically takes the gap between the lowest and the highest paid employee. That specific one was for Mattel which has a market cap of almost 6B. Some of these companies make billions every year and most of the CEOs comp plans consist of stock options which can elevate the pay to the high levels. As well as the stock options aren't always equal to what they are valued at. An executive at a company can't just sell options whenever they want. They typically have to annouce their intent to the SEC and get it approved. It usually takes around 6 months so the value can change alot during that time.

My issue with all of these "reports" is who cares if there is a pay gap. There are reasons people get paid at a different level based on what the bring and make for the companies. So that lower paid person may be someone who stocks paper in a printer of cleans the bathrooms. Where as the top end is someone making the company billions of dollars. When you look at the ones with larger pay gaps they are almost always sales companies not services type companies. It's the same thing with sports players. Does a baseballs job equate earning millions of dollars a year? No. But guess what if they are getting paid 10mil a year they are making their company well more than that.

GOP house couldn't even pass their big Farm bill today. These fuckwits do not know how to govern.

Tell me again how the Democrats are holding shit up?

there's only one thing left to do

giphy.gif

*** me!

@Floptical 's quote:
5000:1 is a bit misleading there. It specifically takes the gap between the lowest and the highest paid employee. That specific one was for Mattel which has a market cap of almost 6B. Some of these companies make billions every year and most of the CEOs comp plans consist of stock options which can elevate the pay to the high levels. As well as the stock options aren't always equal to what they are valued at. An executive at a company can't just sell options whenever they want. They typically have to annouce their intent to the SEC and get it approved. It usually takes around 6 months so the value can change alot during that time.

My issue with all of these "reports" is who cares if there is a pay gap. There are reasons people get paid at a different level based on what the bring and make for the companies. So that lower paid person may be someone who stocks paper in a printer of cleans the bathrooms. Where as the top end is someone making the company billions of dollars [*** this keeps all of the other employees income more secure]. When you look at the ones with larger pay gaps they are almost always sales companies not services type companies. It's the same thing with sports players. Does a baseballs job equate earning millions of dollars a year? No. But guess what if they are getting paid 10mil a year they are making their company well more than that.​

Very well said.

& the sports players professions come at a much higher risk and much shorter career life.

Everything I ever said about you & fruity beer I humbly take back. All of it.

The richies get all upset about these numbers :D

No it's simple business and economics. If you're making more money for a company than someone else you get paid more. Now this model is very specific to a role where you're making money for the company. Not supporting, services, etc. Also I would never ever want to be a CEO of a fortune 500 company. The ones of large companies have the worst lives. Everyone I've ever met or interacted with basically works 18-20 hours a day 7 days a week. It's not a company's responsible to take care of people. It's their responsibility to execute against whatever business they are in. Now some companies choose to do more for their employees but it typically comes at a cost somewhere else. It's a very dangerous game when States try to force companies to do something outside of what they are designed for. Example this week in Seattle area the started the head tax law because their homeless has become out of hand due to the open arms nature of the city. Now companies over a certain size have to pay a tax of $250 per employee. This money goes to city to deal with the problem. Now while I think it's a great idea the end result will be companies will just say fuck it and move to another State to save the money. In the end hurting more people.

"This is the way things are therefore this is the way things should be."

Sprinkle in some un-evidenced conclusions and you get the status quo!

"This is the way things are therefore this is the way things should be."

Sprinkle in some un-evidenced conclusions and you get the status quo!
You seem to have this false romantic idea when it comes to the basic reasons people start a business. It’s always about money and always will be. Businesses will always find a way to do things cheaper and faster to better impact the shareholders. The result is always the same. The bottom gets automated by some sort of tech and replaced with something cheaper.

The big deal is that the gap is ever-increasing.
This, @Floptical.

It's great when businesses and individuals are successful, but why is the salary gap so much wider now? Why are other salaries that are not the top ones not rising proportionately? Why do many companies not expand or do something else with the outrageous amounts of bonuses and salaries from the profits besides give them to the top? Giving the guy who stocks the toilet paper an extra couple bucks an hour would change his life way more than another 5 mil to the CEO.

This, @Floptical.

It's great when businesses and individuals are successful, but why is the salary gap so much wider now? Why are other salaries that are not the top ones not rising proportionately? Why do many companies not expand or do something else with the outrageous amounts of bonuses and salaries from the profits besides give them to the top? Giving the guy who stocks the toilet paper an extra couple bucks an hour would change his life way more than another 5 mil to the CEO.
Because if they don’t pay them then someone else will. It’s like free agency in sports. You’re worth what someone is willing to pay you. Companies have entire teams decided to stealing talent and ideas from their competitors. The guy stocking the toilet paper does very little to move the needle. He can be replaced with someone else or an automated process.

Because if they don’t pay them then someone else will. It’s like free agency in sports. You’re worth what someone is willing to pay you. Companies have entire teams decided to stealing talent and ideas from their competitors. The guy stocking the toilet paper does very little to move the needle. He can be replaced with someone else or an automated process.
Well at this rate, the CEOs will obtain all the money, and the former toilet paper stockers will do... what? Lie down and watch their children starve? Or come for them with pitchforks and guillotines?

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Well at this rate, the CEOs will obtain all the money, and the former toilet paper stockers will do... what? Lie down and watch their children starve? Or come for them with pitchforks and guillotines?
It’s all cost per dollar. Companies have to look at how must it costs to make every dollar. The items that don’t either decrease the CPd percentage or make money agaisnt the P&L are seen as disposable and not worth the invest vs return. It’s the reason you see trendy start-up type companies behaving a certain way but the second they actual have to be responsible to a profit margin all the “cool perks” they did go away.

And I guarantee as tech forces change on more and more industries the people at the bottom will be pushed further down.

yes

It’s all cost per dollar. Companies have to look at how must it costs to make every dollar. The items that don’t either decrease the CPd percentage or make money agaisnt the P&L are seen as disposable and not worth the invest vs return. It’s the reason you see trendy start-up type companies behaving a certain way but the second they actual have to be responsible to a profit margin all the “cool perks” they did go away.

And I guarantee as tech forces change on more and more industries the people at the bottom will be pushed further down.

and more, yes

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.