Political Correctness & the Stifling of Political Debate

Sarcasmo said:
I agree with Galen. China can say what they want, and the only people who really know what's going on over there are the members of the Ministry of the Interior. Hong Kong is probably their only real powerhouse economy, and it's not exactly the equivalent of California.
Only a powerhouse due to the British and American interests there, but I must admit, it is a working economy.

Galen said:
A billion people embracing capitalism? I doubt it. A few ex-commies who've bought up privatised companies embracing capitalism. Likely.

Here's a good article. Force to be reckoned with, maybe, but it was the West who put them there, and they can take it away.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,7369,1588595,00.html

It isn't the companies there embracing capitalism that is actually scary. It is more the people there embracing consumerism. It probably doesn't hurt that I've seen what happens to an industry when cheaper labor takes over it. (textiles)

And what does that article have to do with what I was saying? I'm lost.

taeric said:
It isn't the companies there embracing capitalism that is actually scary. It is more the people there embracing consumerism. It probably doesn't hurt that I've seen what happens to an industry when cheaper labor takes over it. (textiles)

And what does that article have to do with what I was saying? I'm lost.
I just thought that you should read it.

And also, perhaps they don't need to learn about islam in school. All the major news services seem to be highlighting their tolerance of cartoons and sketches.

Galen said:
I just thought that you should read it.

And also, perhaps they don't need to learn about islam in school. All the major news services seem to be highlighting their tolerance of cartoons and sketches.

Fair enough on the article, I suppose. :)

That is the sort of thing that a class would be perfect for, though. Otherwise it just sounds like a lot of people getting upset over a cartoon. To them it is more than that.